Terrified to free range

I'd double the size of that run, at least.
Also about security: The hardware cloth is not secured well enough, and the latches could be opened by any raccoon who shows up. And about the structure: Snow load! Your run wouldn't survive here, don't you have snow too?
Mary
Perfect thanks for the recommendations. This is the first time having chickens. We have the mesh nice and secure both from the outside and the inside. We also placed the predator apron all around the run. Yep we have snow. They have been crazy mild though for years…not a good thing. Definitely will switch those latches though!

We plan on winterizing everything well for the winter. What do you mean by the run not handling the snow? Thank you!

The run roof is slightly slanted, but snow or ice will accumulate on it, and can weigh a lot. That framing just won't hold the roof well enough, IMO. We built ours to house standards, because we wanted no issues with it collapsing, especially if one of us is inside at the time. And nobody want to be out there at 2am in a blizzard sweeping the roof.
I'd love to be wrong about your framing...
Mary

The run roof is slightly slanted, but snow or ice will accumulate on it, and can weigh a lot. That framing just won't hold the roof well enough, IMO. We built ours to house standards, because we wanted no issues with it collapsing, especially if one of us is inside at the time. And nobody want to be out there at 2am in a blizzard sweeping the roof.
I'd love to be wrong about your framing...
Mary
Well good sounds like all things just require some modifications!

Here is a better picture of the roof in case you have any more ideas for structure. I appreciate you!

Well good sounds like all things just require some modifications!

Here is a better picture of the roof in case you have any more ideas for structure. I appreciate you!

Attachments

• 3C5B53A1-2E19-4237-8CA8-31E485DD63DA.jpeg
    3C5B53A1-2E19-4237-8CA8-31E485DD63DA.jpeg
    965 KB · Views: 17
  • F8DA2334-D0B8-44CC-9905-A395678720AE.jpeg
    F8DA2334-D0B8-44CC-9905-A395678720AE.jpeg
    795.9 KB · Views: 16
Looks like the roof of ours and we get plenty of snow. I didn't have a problem last year and I definitely was not sweeping off snow ;)
Hooray! Thank you! one major flaw I definitely noticed is we put the dang door on the short side…where the snow will drop but it is what it is at least for now. 🤣

0D6566E9-DC29-47AE-BC1C-F2BCEC0BF14C.jpeg

we have lots of hawks here. The yard is also pretty open. We move the chickens around on a weekly basis with the electric fencing. We do have a mobile chicken shelter that we made that they can go hide under.

our rooster is super watchful and gets the hens to go and shelter whenever the hawks come around. the crows are also super useful in chasing them off.

View attachment 3221920
we have lots of hawks here. The yard is also pretty open. We move the chickens around on a weekly basis with the electric fencing. We do have a mobile chicken shelter that we made that they can go hide under.

our rooster is super watchful and gets the hens to go and shelter whenever the hawks come around. the crows are also super useful in chasing them off.
Awesome! I love the built shelter! We planned on free ranging hence we didn’t build a gigantic covered run, lol then I just got scared!

My neighbors free range all day and have yet to lose a chicken to anything other than there dog years ago. They even have a few bantams and a little serama roo currently…thanks so much for sharing!

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I have had chickens for about 5 years and I've not yet had a loss due to predation. I don't free range, but I do let them out for supervised foraging time, and I have a very large run and covered yard for them.

I have 19 chickens and 5 ducks. Their coop is 8x8, but the attached covered run is ~215 sq ft, and they have access to that 24/7. There's also a 20 sq ft duck house that opens onto the run, but the ducks prefer to sleep in the run. Divas...

The yard is surrounded by electric netting and covered with heavy duty aviary netting. The duck's pond is in there, too. The yard is 650 sq ft. They have access to that until nightfall when I lock them up in the run. We have pretty much every predator you can name here. When I do let them out on the property, I supervise closely to keep them away from the woods.

Now I used to live in a more suburban neighborhood. The only issue we had were hawks. I just made lots of areas for them to hide, but I am MUCH happier with the aviary netting we have now. If I were back in my old neighborhood, I'd probably rig up the netting somehow.

Truth be told, my neighbors free range their flock, and that's helped keep the predators away. Why work for a meal when you can get it easy? It's all about opportunity vs reward.

Back
Top Bottom