Territorial Barred Rock Rooster. Advice appreciated.

They are all about 3 months old, they don't have that amount of space but we are looking into getting them new enclosures very soon.
I don't plan to put him back with that flock, I hope to soon put him with another flock.
If I add all different birds at the same time do they need to be introduced in the mentioned manner? Thx,
You are trying to go against the nature of these birds by keeping them in very tight quarters and tossing them together randomly.
They form bonds with other birds and know their own flock members and they all need personal space. This is why battery hens and other commercial egg laying breeds that are crammed into over-crowded conditions are debeaked as chicks. They will peck at other birds because of the stress and damage or kill them.

If you do not have an enclosure now, or the possibility of it soon as in the next 10 days, think about selling some of these birds. People often times want to buy birds at this age, not so long till they lay. You should be able to make some money on the deal, which is like getting some bags of feed for free, and will greatly increase your space for the remaining birds.

Overcrowding can cause very ugly behaviors, and the bigger they get the more they feel over crowded. Sometimes people think being raised together will keep them from fighting when over crowded, but it won't.

As for adding to a different flock, again it would be more helpful to add pictures and sizes of the new coop. Does the coop/run have hideouts, multiple perches in and out of the coop, are there mini walls, ladders, sawhorses, boxes? Places where the birds can get away from each other and out of sight? Multiple feed bowls? Those are things that will help.

Mrs K

You are trying to go against the nature of these birds by keeping them in very tight quarters and tossing them together randomly.
They form bonds with other birds and know their own flock members and they all need personal space. This is why battery hens and other commercial egg laying breeds that are crammed into over-crowded conditions are debeaked as chicks. They will peck at other birds because of the stress and damage or kill them.
We are getting them new enclosures this week. I hate them being overcrowded. I understood they needed more space but didn't think that much this soon. I don't usually move flock members unless I need too. We are fixing a shelter this week and adding a run so are birds have more space.

If you do not have an enclosure now, or the possibility of it soon as in the next 10 days, think about selling some of these birds. People often times want to buy birds at this age, not so long till they lay. You should be able to make some money on the deal, which is like getting some bags of feed for free, and will greatly increase your space for the remaining birds.

Overcrowding can cause very ugly behaviors, and the bigger they get the more they feel over crowded. Sometimes people think being raised together will keep them from fighting when over crowded, but it won't.

As for adding to a different flock, again it would be more helpful to add pictures and sizes of the new coop. Does the coop/run have hideouts, multiple perches in and out of the coop, are there mini walls, ladders, sawhorses, boxes? Places where the birds can get away from each other and out of sight? Multiple feed bowls? Those are things that will help.

Mrs K
We plan to cull many of our birds (we have both pet and meat birds) hopefully soon.
The new coop isn't ready yet but it will have a run and coop, multiple feeders, etc.
I will give more info when available.
The coop should be ready this week.

Back
Top Bottom