Terrorized by roosters! HELP!

I've had chickens for just over a year. When I got my first chicks at the feed store there was one roo in the batch. He's gotten meaner by the day. I also don't have confidence problems. The day he jumped from the nesting boxes onto my head and started doing a crazy dance I cornered him and whacked him several times with a small rake. He was bleeding from his comb. Didn't slow him down. We have all the chickens confined with poultry electric netting due to coyotes. When anyone goes in the pen they have to take the shovel for protection. I just incubated and hatched 13 chicks from him and my hens. So he's no longer necessary and I am sooooo tired of watching my back all the time. Also his spurs are still pretty small and I don't want to wait to see what happens when they get bigger. I don't have the heart to kill him but finally found someone today who will be coming back on Saturday to take him and I would imagine he will be in the stew pot by Saturday night. I say good riddance!!!! My advice is the same as the others. Get rid of him and de-stress your life. Good Luck

Stew pot sounds good. Raising and caring for chickens should be enjoyable. A rooster should earn his keep by being respectfull to you. Otherwise, kill the darn thing. If your husband has a problem with it, then let him go out there and take care of him. It may sound cruel, but why should you have to spend your money and time on something that attacks you?

If I have a dog that bites me or a member of my family or a roo that attacks me, they are gone. My husband and I are dominant in our "flock" and all our animals must respect that dominance. Afterall, I provide all their care, food, shelter, and a loving home and my time is much better spent on a group of animals that I enjoy, not ones that I am afraid of or hurt by.

They need to have an "accident". There's no need at all to put up with aggressive yard roos.

An axe fell accidentally on their heads?

Just sayin'
roll.png

My first rooster was a Barred Rock. Meaner than a junk yard dog. I tried fighting back with him. Disasterous. Just made him meaner than ever and even more determined to fight me. When he nailed me in the chest with a full on kick (and I'm not a short woman) I knew it was time for him to go. WAY too close to my eyes. Next time, I kept 2 roosters, Easter Eggers, thinking they might take it out on each other rather than me. That worked for awhile then one of the boys decided he needed to defend the whole property - and he was sneaky. Liked to come from behind. Met folks in the driveway as they tried to exit their cars. So I tried the "loving" approach with him. Carried him around and petted him. I suspect that was a better approach. He wasn't a total bugger. One of those EE roos was a total prick with the hens, however. He'd chase them all around the property. Really annoyed me. Got to the point that one of my hens wouldn't even leave the coop because she was so traumatized by him. It was when I saw the two of them taking turns with one of the hens - jumping on and off that I decided it was time for them to go. Plus, when the hawk attack happened and one of my hens was nailed, the two roosters ran for cover. Didn't do a thing to help the hen. So what's the point? Why feed them if all they are going to do is annoy the hens???? We are MUCH happier free of roosters.

We have a slw rooster that has become aggressive the last couple months. I have given him the literal BOOT, but he is still a jerk. Hasn't been bad lately. Our chickens are in a run. He did come after me and spurred me in the thigh. It just amazes me that they can put a hole in your leg and NOT in the jeans that you are wearing!!!!!! I will give him away if he starts his crap back up.

He,he he.... I have a devious plan for the little terrorist roo that my husband favors. A neighbor of ours wants to take our "spent" hens... and guess who happens to be in that coop.... Yup... Capt'n Jack..... Here's how it is going to go.... "Honey you're kidding! they took Jack too??? Oh my goodness!!!! I am so sorry!
cool.png

25346_jack.jpg

Back
Top Bottom