Terrorized by roosters! HELP!

For my part, I was only proposing Craigslist if the OP couldn't handle or stomach eating the bird. Full disclosure of the aggression issue with the bird should be made of course.

That's what I was thinking. If I had to put them on craigslist, it would be with full disclosure and I'd be fine with the fact that someone may want them to eat as well. Also, since these guys only attack me, they might be perfectly fine with a new owner. But I would certainly be honest about the aggression issues.

We had a rooster when I was a kid who only attacked my Dad. We gave him away, and the new owner was best buddies with that roo! So much so, that his (crazy) wife put a picture of the rooster in the guy's casket with him when he died!

I'm going to try removing that roosters spurs today with my husbands help. Then I'm going to try that "taming" technique and see what happens. I'm not holding my breath though.​

Good luck. You're going above and beyond and I certainly hope the rooster handling technique works for you. You deserve some peace.

Quote:
Well, I removed the rooster's spurs!! It was easy. I did the twist off method with the pliers. Those boys both had really long and sharp spurs, now they just have fleshy little stumps!

I did work with the big rooster. I hypnotized him until he was flat out on the ground and didn't move for a while! I don't know if it will work or not. That remains to be seen.

The little guy however, I didn't work with as much and when I put him on the ground, he came at me right away... minus his spurs of course. He took two shots at me and his spur stumps started to bleed and he backed down! Maybe that will teach him?

I'm wearing my boots for the time being, and hoping for the best, but I did tell my husband that if this doesn't cure them, I'm going to start carrying a 2 by 4 with me and the next time either one of those guys takes a shot at me, I'm going to clobber him for the last time... I'm going to whack him til' he's dead next time! My DH knows I'm serious and he didn't say a word in protest.
wink.png

If you can't stomach eating them you could probably find someone who would. We have a feed store near us that takes unwanted roosters and a lot of immigrants to our area buy them for $2 and use them for food.

Quote:
Well, I removed the rooster's spurs!! It was easy. I did the twist off method with the pliers. Those boys both had really long and sharp spurs, now they just have fleshy little stumps!

I did work with the big rooster. I hypnotized him until he was flat out on the ground and didn't move for a while! I don't know if it will work or not. That remains to be seen.

The little guy however, I didn't work with as much and when I put him on the ground, he came at me right away... minus his spurs of course. He took two shots at me and his spur stumps started to bleed and he backed down! Maybe that will teach him?

I'm wearing my boots for the time being, and hoping for the best, but I did tell my husband that if this doesn't cure them, I'm going to start carrying a 2 by 4 with me and the next time either one of those guys takes a shot at me, I'm going to clobber him for the last time... I'm going to whack him til' he's dead next time! My DH knows I'm serious and he didn't say a word in protest.
wink.png

Dianne,
Where did you find the info on how to remove the spurs??? I have a rooster that put a nice size hole in my leg and I want to remove his.
Thanks!

Dianne,
Where did you find the info on how to remove the spurs??? I have a rooster that put a nice size hole in my leg and I want to remove his.
Thanks!

There are several videos on Youtube. This guy's video is pretty good,
There are several methods, some involve cutting the spurs with dog nail clippers and such, but the twist off method is really easy!

I tried twisting them off with my fingers, but I couldn't get a good enough grip. I had to use pliers and you have to firmly hold the rooster's leg so you don't twist or break his leg at the same time! I had my husband hold the rooster and I held the leg in one hand, gripped the spur with the pliers in the other hand and gently and slowly twisted until I felt the spur come loose. Then they just slide right off! There is a small fleshy stump left that may bleed a drop or two. I'm assuming that the spurs will grow back and I'll have to do this again as maintainance (if these roosters survive much longer!) but for now if those boys try and flog at all, they will feel it in their tender little spur stumps!

So far, both roosters are keeping their distance from me. I don't know how long this will last though.​

Quote:
No, it didn't bother mine one bit. You have to be careful not to squeeze too hard with the pliers and just twist gently. I sprayed Blue Kote on both of mine's spurs after they were removed. I use Blue Kote on my chickens a lot since it dyes the wound blue, the other chickens are not likely to peck at it.

So far my guys are keeping their distance from me and not initiating any confrontation deliberately. I don't know what will happen if our paths cross accidentally though?

I hope things work out for you too, otherwise I would say bye bye to the roosters. Some one may want them to introduce a new blood line to their flock if they are breeding.

Back
Top Bottom