terrorizing terriers

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
Yesterday, I received a frantic phone call from my neighbor. She had just seen two jack russel terriers attacking something gray in one of my pastures. I have a few gray hens and two gray barn cats. I grabbed a gun and ran outside. I saw the two dogs and recognized them. They knew they were busted and took off before I was close enough to blow their stupid heads off. I called the owners and told them politely, but firmly, to round up their dogs because they would be shot if they came back. Then I did a head count. All chickens were present and accounted for. The rooster was standing alert and had all of the girls in the coop. I have two coops. After work, I let the chickens roam in the yard for a while. I alternate every other day which coop is opened because the roosters will fight. Last night Gimley and his girls were out. Some of you might remember Gimley. He was the crippled chick I hatched last year that had to come to work with me because both of his feet and legs had bandaid braces. Last night was his first test. He passed. All of the girls were in the coop and out of sight of the dogs. I think it was a gray barn cat that the dogs had. He was dropped off here last spring. We have been trying to catch and tame him but haven't had much success. He won't let me catch him to see how bad it is. The ding bat neighbor did come down looking for her dogs. I could tell from her idiotic, bubbly attitude that she just didn't get it. I did make sure that she knew that she would be paying for any vet bills or losses. I have no idea if she found her dogs or not, but she is aware that they will be shot if they come back. BTW this is the same person that used to own a great pyrenese that used to chase and bite our horses. She kept letting that dog roam until she was threatened with legal action. This is the first time that the terriers have down here, and it had better be the last.

Hate to make someone mad, but I loathe JRTs (sorry, Karen) One reason is because my friend Sara (Frogtown) has had numerous birds killed, many she got from me, by a group of JRTs. The owners just would never listen. So, last time they caught one digging into a pen of youngsters, after others had already been viciously killed, was shot in mid-dig. Nasty little things and born killers, JRT's, most of them, anyway in my experience. They're terriers, it's what they do. That is one dog that needs to be fenced and kept track of. A little dog can be just as efficient a chicken killer as a large one.

These people raise JRT's. The woman is in her forties, but seems to have the maturity of a teenager. Her father came down too, but he stayed in the truck glaring at me. It didn't bother me though. If he doesn't want to hear people say that his darling little monsters will be shot, he can keep them at home. If they can dig under the fence, he can get a better fence. If I wanted nasty little dogs on my property, I would buy my own and still not need theirs.

Quote:
Don't I know that! My own, elderly, miniature dacshund is a chicken killer. I had no clue and was horribly surprised the first time. I have to be extremely vigilant with him. It was my fault he managed to kill 3 chickens over a period of time. Twice he got into the run because I didn't latch the gate tightly enough, and the third time, one of my chickens found a loose spot and went Free Ranging. I saw her go by when I was in the run, and before I could get out of it, she ran into Zorro's view. I had the guilts - about both situations - for a long time. I love my dog, but I can't trust him.

The "good" thing about Zorro wanting chickens is that I keep a real good eye on where he's testing the run enclosure, and he's shown me weak spots in my security (especially after each time I adjust or enlarge the run).

Lost my entire flock, last Wednesday, to a Boston terrier and two 6 month old Beagle pups.

Every chicken, duck, rabbit, etc,... I have ever lost is because of dogs and owners who could/would not control them.

jrt have their uses and need a job. they also need to be contained and controled. people who let their dogs roam free piss me the heck off so bad. we a literaly have a pack of border collies...neighbors keep breeding and giving away puppies to whoever will take them. my sil and bil have two, but they are kept in the yard and controled. one day these dogs will end up killed or dead, and these people are going to cry and boohoo. they use to try and chase my mare when she was a baby, but a gun and the old gelding put an end to that quickly.

Quote:
Don't I know that! My own, elderly, miniature dacshund is a chicken killer. I had no clue and was horribly surprised the first time. I have to be extremely vigilant with him. It was my fault he managed to kill 3 chickens over a period of time. Twice he got into the run because I didn't latch the gate tightly enough, and the third time, one of my chickens found a loose spot and went Free Ranging. I saw her go by when I was in the run, and before I could get out of it, she ran into Zorro's view. I had the guilts - about both situations - for a long time. I love my dog, but I can't trust him.

The "good" thing about Zorro wanting chickens is that I keep a real good eye on where he's testing the run enclosure, and he's shown me weak spots in my security (especially after each time I adjust or enlarge the run).

My doxie is the same way. I just don't allow her access and my pen is way secure. I do have to really watch her though, she can zip out the door in a heartbeat. lol I figure that I know how she is, and they were bred to hunt and kill small animals so if she kills anything I can't blame her. So far she hasn't killed any birds, but she really really wants to. That doesn't make her bad, either. She is in training for therapy dog, she loves chicldren and babies, never has attitude with people or other dogs. She just loves the hunt.

OP, you had to make those people realize they can't let 2 agressive dogs go free.

Ya, I hate it when there are loose dogs/cats around my coop. I have a Jack Russell Terrier and I love him dearly, but I know what you mean. He is a very special Jack, only 'bout 1 in a thousand Jacks are like him. Sweet, good with horses, cats, chickens, ect. Most other Jacks are NUTCASES! Also, try to get a puppy if you want to have him trained not to go after your birds.
When we first got him (rescued) we were worried about The Girls. First, he lept around their coop. He wouldn't stop. Then, he would jam his nose through the small wiring holes. It took 1 of the hens ,Just 2 WEEKS OLD at the time, to put him right! She was a tiny white Silkie chick, only a few inches high, and she suddenly darted forward and grabbed hold of his nose! She wouldn't let go! It went on like that until I could finnally pry the pup's nose out of her 'evil clutches'
smile.png

1 1/2 year later he still is scared, and if you look close at his nose there is a small scar. Poor puppy.
smile.png

Since that day, that Silkie has aquired a love for attacking everything except for people (sometimes). Her Attack List: Neighbor's goats, my Horse (when she was still a chick!) all my cats, the same dog several more times, a German Shepard, a stuffed teddy bear, the neighborhood cats, a seagull, a mouse,a turkey, a pizza man, a Peacock, and any other unfortunate pooch who happens to walk by. So much for Silkies being calm and gentle. She loves me, though.
smile.png
Every dog and chicken is differant!!!!!!
smile.png

I fail to see why people breed highly-driven working dogs (JRT's and others) just to try to turn them into "lap dogs" and house dogs, or somesuch and then wonder why they are "nutcases" and they "can't" be controlled.

Why do you want a breed of dog that was selectively designed to chase/hunt/kill and then you think you can just let it run loose and it won't hurt anything????????
JRTs aren't bred to be "people pleasers" they are bred to be small-animal-killers. Why is it such a shock to their owners when that is what they DO?
roll.png

STUPID HUMANS!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom