Test hatch with unexpected results

Floof

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 28, 2015
I hatched out a whole bunch of eggs this month and I had collected eggs from one of my groups that has a mixed breed barred rooster that I think carries silver. As a chick (also hatched on site last year) he was black, with silver dorsal stripes, and a big messy head spot. I kept him as a curiosity. I suspected his mother was a welbar and his father was my black sex linked EE. He presides over a small group of girls and I hatched out some unexpected colored chicks from my welbar eggs. They sort of look like lighter versions of my normal pure welbar chicks. What do you all think? Did I backcross to welbar and get the autosexing back? He's an enormous and shockingly patient rooster so it would be nice to have an excuse to breed him.
20230606_194459.jpg
20230525_211951.jpg
20230606_190532.jpg

It might be worth it to mention, I used to have a welbar rooster but it died abruptly last year so this guy might have been hatched around that time. Welbar to welbar doesn't ever hatch black with silver stripes and a headspot though right? I ruled my old welbar roo out as his daddy because of his black body color at hatch.

Last edited:
So explain it to me like I'm five.

What are the sexes of those three chicks, and why does the autosexing work in this case?
The Rooster carry two copies of Barring and is e+/eb, the mother is also Barred and e+, hens will have full head and dorsal stripes, males will have a messy head/neck headspot and faded or undefined dorsal stripes, now since s+(gold) and S(Silver) is at play here 50% of the chicks will be gold and 50% will be Silver so there will be two tones.

The chick on the very left is a Silver hen and the chick on the very right is a S/s+ male. The chick on the middle is also a Silver female

Example:

hredirect2 (2).jpeg

The headspot is only one way to identify a male from a female. But look at the Back, the stripes are undefined and the tone of the chick is lighter due to two copies of sex linked Barring

Last edited:
The Rooster carry two copies of Barring and is e+/eb, the mother is also Barred and e+, hens will have full head and dorsal stripes, males will have a messy head/neck headspot and faded or undefined dorsal stripes, now since s+(gold) and S(Silver) is at play here 50% of the chicks will be gold and 50% will be Silver so there will be two tones.

The chick on the very left is a Silver hen and the chick on the very right is a S/s+ male. The chick on the middle is also a Silver female

Example:

View attachment 3532288

The headspot is only one way to identify a male from a female. But look at the Back, the stripes are undefined and the tone of the chick is lighter due to two copies of sex linked Barring
It is always exciting to hear from you and an even greater joy to have you confirm what I suspected. I FINALLY got to see for myself something you taught me years ago :)

Back
Top Bottom