Testing DE & pumpkin seeds on roundworms

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
I realized today that my lethargic BR, Dumpling, has roundworms.

sickbyc.gif

Since I was planning to make butternut squash soup for dinner anyway, I scouped out the squash innards, mixed with 2 handfuls of DE, and gave the whole lot to my girls. Dumpling is a hearty eater and I'm confident that she got a healthy portion of that concoction.

I'll keep an eye on her poop & keep you posted on whether or not pumpkin seeds & DE really are effective in worming chickens.

JP, I don't think it will help if they already have worms only prevent them from getting worms!?!?!?
fl.gif

Pumpkin seeds will kill worms, so will DE. Also black walnut hull. (The green outer hull, not the hard shell.)

Ivermectin is good to kill internal and external parasites all at once in chickens. Ivermectin is used for humans in some cases, but poultry use is off-label. Gail Damerow recommends it in The Chicken Health Handbook. The 1% injectable, available at most feed stores for cattle and pigs, but given orally, in water, or dosed individually. I use it in the drinking water, it's hard to individually dose over 30 birds. I've never had any problems from it, and it's very effective. But be aware that it's not officially approved for poultry.

Back
Top Bottom