Testing Duck Eggs?

fowl farm

Songster
7 Years
May 9, 2012
Is there anyway of testing duck eggs to see if they are still good to eat? Apparently you can't test chicken eggs and duck eggs the same way
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
Well, I don't know of a test, unless you know the weight of a fresh egg. If your worried, candle the end with the air sac. If you can't see the air sac, its fresh. If the air sac is as big as a dime or nickel, its up to 7 days old. If its the size of a quarter, its pushing two weeks or more. If the weather is under 80* daily, and the air sac is quarter size or less, its probobly still ok to eat. Since your planning to eat them, I'd wash them first.

Well, duck hens regularly wait 2 - 3 weeks to begin sitting them. That means they are still viable embryos, and are not contaminated yet from outside the shell. Thus, like hen eggs, are still edable providing they'be stayed cold (fridge) to cool (nest under 85*). Ideally, we prefer to eat duck eggs in the first 10 days at our house. If they are refridgerated, we'll eat them another week beyond that, not that they last that long. The firm texture of the egg white softens over time. I think they taste and cook best in the first 10 days, ideally refridgerated for storage beyond 3 days (or if its warm in your kitchen).

My husband likes to wash them, and crack them into a bowl and look at them before he puts them in a pan. Especially when its warm, or we aren't sure how old they are. If they have blood, toss them. If they look weird, toss them. If they smell bad, toss them. If the appear normal, smell normal, and the egg whites aren't running everywhere like water, they are good.

Does this help?
smile.png

Yes! Thanks. I figured would have to go on time, but I always forget to get duck eggs because it doesn't seem normal, I guess.
roll.png

Check often. Ducks can outlay hens, and have bigger eggs. Feed them layer food, and they taste just like a hen. Check daily, ducks lay at night, or actually in the early morning, usually before 8 a.m. I lock my ducks up at night, and gather breakfast first thing in the morning when I let them out. Keep a tiny 20 watt bulb in with them at night all winter, and they will lay all winter. Also, the bulb keeps ice from forming on water.

we use the water test........take a clear glass fill it up with warm water, if it sinks to bottom and lays flat it's a week or less old, if the fat end of the eggs starts to float up it's 2 weeks old, if whole egg floats right above the bottom of glass....chunk it!!

Back
Top Bottom