Testing Home made bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gabrielle1976, Mar 5, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Ok so I finely made one and ran it for about 16 hours or so it seems to be constent in what it does It goes up to about 100-102 then shuts off and drops a couple degrees then kicks back on , I think I will try my cracked eggs in there I got 2 eggs that have very fine tiny cracks in the shell , Normally I would chuck them but I think after reading the post about wax, which I followed by putting a bit of uncented wax on the cracks that I may as well try it . So wish me luck, Ill see how it goes I will try to candle on day 3 <sunday night> and see if there is any change in them and then again on day 5 and go from there.
    So with home made bators do others have that issuse , to get hte thermestate to click on it has to drop a degree or two for a few minutes first?
    Oh and also is it normal for humidity to go up after you put eggs in , my humidity was about 42% this whole time till just now that i put in the eggs and it went up to 50%
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. clayhillcouple

clayhillcouple Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Middleburg Florida
    I had a hard time getting my humidty up so I put more containers of water in.

3. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    Sounds like your homemade has less variance in temps than mine. Using the hot water thermostat, the air temperature in mine will fluctuate 4 degrees...the water wiggler only fluctuates .5 degrees.

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Im not as worried aobut the air therms varance as long as I can keep the watter wiggler I made close to a good temp because although I am new at this it seems to me that the egg staying a steady temp is more important then what all the therms and stuff are doing all over the rest of the bator you know what I mean? I have 2 glass therms in the bator anda humidity gauge , I know the glass therms are not solid accurate and they very from each other thought there right next to eatch other so I just go buy what my hospital digital tells me about my watter wiggler.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by