Tetanus question. Dh is injured

My husband almost lost his finger from getting cut by metal.. It got swollen and red and warm to the touch..and a red line started to climb up his wrist..

he ended up having to have I.V.s and everything...tell him he better go!
old.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
And we want pictures too.

Just kidding. I doubt the swelling is tetanus, but it could very well be infected. He should have a tetanus booster and check with a doctor to see if he needs treatment for the infection.

Hope he heals quick!

I do want to add... I'm one of those people who avoid going to the doctor if at all possible.

Having said that... do not wait around with wounds to hands/joints if they are swelling/red. Cellulitis can really get a good hold in joints and do some real damage if a person waits to long to seek treatment.

my son to IV anti's for 6 days in hospital then every 2 hours by mouth at home for 10 days and had to keep his entire hand sterile for 10 days after what a chore that was.

Did you know there are 2 of these threads? ...I just read the other one to see what Jennspeeps had to say and I was like, I thought I responded to this one?

...i thought i was *beeped* out or something.
hide.gif

Soaking it would be good.. With it just having been hardware cloth (small opening, I'm guessing?) and already closed up, they probably won't be able to debride it at this point.. Soaking is probably the next best thing. You can get betadine solution at your local drug store and dilute it.. We actually have chlorhexadine teat dip concentrate for our goats and were told that it would make an EXCELLENT solution to soak a puncture wound.

He'll need antibiotics, though, and I'm sure they'll do a tetanus shot. Tetanus shots SUCK big time...sore for days afterward. They gave me mine in my non-dominant arm (maybe 2yrs ago?) but I'm frankly not sure that was the best thing to have done.. The only thing that made it not hurt so bad was moving and working it around.

I'm actually not sure if there is a "best" arm for a tetanus shot, come to think of it...unless he happens to have a third one as a spare..
gig.gif

I'd advise going to an urgent treatment clinic type place if you can, versus an ER visit.. What you're looking at can definitely be handled in a jiffy at an urgent care clinic...may be chaper, too, depending on your insurance situation. I know it costs us a WHOLE LOT LESS to go to urgent treatment than to the ER.

Back
Top Bottom