Tetra Tints??

The people at the Tractor Supply I went to didn't know what Tetra Tints are! lol But, I bought some anyway.

I've did some research, and from what I have read they are mostly white hens, but can have some darker markings. They are very heavy producers of a light creamy colored egg. The hens get to be about 5 pounds.
They were bred by Mt. Healthy Hatchery exclusively for Tractor Supply.

I wonder if they are just another name for Amberlinks? *Fingers Crossed!*

So it's been over a year since you got these girls... how about some pictures?
caf.gif

Last edited:
I wonder if one of my amberlinks is actually a tetra tint as shes beigh were as the other has black spots on her.

Tetra Tints

Click to enlarge image(s)
A light weight bird which is mostly white with at times some brown or even black highlights. The Tretra Tint is a cross between a Rhode Island Red male and a White leghorn female, producing cream colored or "tinted" eggs. She is an excellent producer and adapts well to backyards environments. Healthy Hatcheries is the only mail order hatchery in the U.S. to order this variety.

The tinted tetra chickens are a cross between a rhode island rooster and a leg horn hen that's why they lay a cream color egg

I bought 6 hens at Tractor Supply back in March. Here is my take on Tetra tints; They are dumb, they eat all the time, don't roost (sleep on the ground), done scratch (glad they don’t because their feet are gigantic), and they don’t cluck like normal chickens and they weigh so much that they waddle when they “try” to run. Most of the time they lay down and don’t move even when I let them out into the yard. My 6 hens (I bought hens but, well, I think 2 are roosters) are only 3 months old and they are bigger than any of my grown hens. They are all white, but they don’t have feathers on their bottoms or under their wings! I think they were bread with Godzilla. I want to love them but I think they will die soon if they get any bigger.

Are you sure you didn't get cornish rock by mistake? What you just described sounds exactly like a cornish rock to me.

I bought 6 hens at Tractor Supply back in March. Here is my take on Tetra tints; They are dumb, they eat all the time, don't roost (sleep on the ground), done scratch (glad they don’t because their feet are gigantic), and they don’t cluck like normal chickens and they weigh so much that they waddle when they “try” to run. Most of the time they lay down and don’t move even when I let them out into the yard. My 6 hens (I bought hens but, well, I think 2 are roosters) are only 3 months old and they are bigger than any of my grown hens. They are all white, but they don’t have feathers on their bottoms or under their wings! I think they were bread with Godzilla. I want to love them but I think they will die soon if they get any bigger.

A case of wrong birds from what is labeled on the bin at TSC. Chicks get mixed up. Tetra Poultry Genetics company, the original makers of the Tint, just one of their layer models, is a light weight laying hybrid.

What you have is undoubtedly a commercial broiler, commonly called the CX or CornishCross, etc. It is bred to mature quickly and butchered at 8-9 weeks. Yes, it is quite common for them to die if not processed at the proper age.

Last edited:
X3 ...when my TSC got their tetra tints in this past spring they had mixed them with their Cornish X and were trying to distinguish between the two when I was in the store. It was comical and frustrating at the same time. They had no clue. I tried to point out that the little ones with black spots were pretty clearly TT but they weren't haveing it

Back
Top Bottom