Tetracycline for sneezing pullet??

@casportpony

I'm not a necropsy or meat expert, but i don't really see anything concerning.

Since the antibiotics did not make any improvements, you may be dealing with a virus like Infectious Bronchitis or it's possible if you have wildfires and smoke right now this could be the cause of some respiratory ailments.

There's nothing that says you have to cull all your birds - as mentioned in my previous post - it all depends on your goals. Meat and eggs for personal consumption - if you're not selling them to anyone should be fine - you just want to inspect the meat like you normally would when you butcher anything.

This is the first hen that got sick and IMO she is getting better because I don't hear gurgling constantly.
The other one that we killed was breathing with open beak, and she was rattling while inhaling and exhaling.

This is the first hen that got sick and IMO she is getting better because I don't hear gurgling constantly.
The other one that we killed was breathing with open beak, and she was rattling while inhaling and exhaling.

I would say that she looks pretty good. A chicken with a severe respiratory disease won't be that active. I do hear her snicking (sneezing) slightly, but I don't see any facial swelling or hear coughing, etc. You may be dealing with air quality issues from the smoke or it could be something like Infectious Bronchitis or Mycoplasma, but there's no way to know for sure without testing.
Keeping stress levels down (she looks happy to me), watching to see that they are eating/drinking well and giving them a boost with some poultry vitamins a couple of times a week is probably the best thing to do. If they have the most trouble at night, you can try using something like VetRx which is an over the counter product that acts like Vicks Vapor Rub. That may give them some relief.

Back
Top Bottom