Tetracycline question (what's going on here?)

Black River

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 24, 2010
I have a hen that's had a runny nose for a few days....we have her isolated, and i was told to give tetacycline. I picked some up from the local co-op, and my wife and i mixed up a gallon. The problem is when we put it in the waterer, after a while it turns purple. Looks like purple koolaid. I just dumped it and added more, it turns purple again. The jug that i have premixed in the fridge doesn't do it, is it the sunlight causing it? Will it still work (if i can get the hen to drink it)? Any ideas?

Hello Black River
frow.gif
I have no experience with this but perhaps the color change is a chemical reaction due to either sunlight as you suggested or the material in your waterer (is it metal?). I searched the internet, and all I could find is this statement: "Tetracycline is stable in air but exposure to strong sunlight causes it to darken." No further explanation given. I attached the link below (look under Description) but the discussion is mostly very technical. Did the tetracycline come with an insert in the package that might give you storage suggestions? Perhaps someone with more drug knowledge than I will come along, but until then you might want to try a different waterer (if it is metal) or a different location (if it is in direct sunlight in your run). Sorry I can't be of more help, and good luck with your hen and flock!
http://wiki.medpedia.com/Clinical:Tetracycline_hydrochloride_(Tetracycline_Hydrochloride)

I've been told not to use it with aluminum or stainless steel containers (some metallic reaction but have never seen it). I use it with plastic and rubber containers. It stays yellow for us, sunlight or not.

It's in a plastic container....i moved the waterer further back in the shade, no more purple water. Thanks for the replies!

Back
Top Bottom