Texas A&M Quails with Spots

MichelleKing

Songster
Aug 25, 2018
Ohio
I hatched four texas A&M quail from a breeder. My question is, why are three displaying spots and are not all white? Its confusing because they're mostly white and you would think they would be all white if they were displaying a recessive gene? I have one male who is pure pure white, thats it.

If I were to breed them to other quail (brown or white), 1. what would happen and 2. would they pass on non-white genes or the spots? How does the A&M gene work to produce all white? I'm not doing a Punnet square yall. I just need answers.

pics for pleasant valley 1.jpg

That coloration can be all white, or white with one to a few spots. If you breed the white/white spotted together, you should get white/white spotted. If you breed a white/white spotted to a brown, you could end up with brown (carrying the white/white spotted gene which is recessive), tuxedo (mix of brown and white), or white/white spotted (should only happen if the brown parent is carrying the white recessive gene). You might also get something random depending on what other genes are hidden in the parent's genetic past.

That coloration can be all white, or white with one to a few spots. If you breed the white/white spotted together, you should get white/white spotted. If you breed a white/white spotted to a brown, you could end up with brown (carrying the white/white spotted gene which is recessive), tuxedo (mix of brown and white), or white/white spotted (should only happen if the brown parent is carrying the white recessive gene). You might also get something random depending on what other genes are hidden in the parent's genetic past.

Perfect thank you so much for explaining!!

Back
Top Bottom