Texas chickens

Honeyshens4

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
Hi,
I got my first chickens in April. An austrlop, a barred rock and 2 buff orpingtons. I think the two black girls are getting ready to lay, they are 22 weeks, the orps are 21 weeks but don't even look close to mature? Is that normal for them to be so behind developmentally? I'm in texas, could heat be a factor? They ate starter feed till last wee, now they have layer feed and are free ranging. I'm worried about they orps.
Overall they are fun, only the barred rock lets me get close and pet her.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2, breeds and even birds within the same breed mature at different rates, Orps are often slower maturing, so it could just be a breed/strain difference. Give them a good physical exam, and you might even want to post pictures to see if people see anything.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, all breeds mature at different rates. The general guide lines are anywhere from 5 months to 7 months, depending on the breed. And each bird within these breeds will also mature at a different rate as well.

I hope you start to see some eggs soon! Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've raised all three of those breeds (still have BAs and BOs) and you have some very calm and gentle breeds. Heat might play a factor in their laying. Black Australorps are more heat resistant than the other two breeds. I raised BAs in CA where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (123 F once), and while my BRs and BOs were really panting and struggling in the heat, my BAs seemed pretty much unaffected by it and went about their usual business like troopers. Do make sure though that you have shade for your birds, good coop ventilation, and plenty of fresh water. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting those eggs.

Back
Top Bottom