Texas Coop Build! Pic heavy!

do they stay inside all the time or do they free range during the day?
They stay inside all day mostly due to how many dogs we personally have as well as the neighbor dogs who took out my entire flock in the past. We are in the process of building a daytime run with an additional 800 sq ft that I will post when it is done.

if their dogs came on your property they should pay for the chickens and lost production. Or do they not care what their dogs do? Also a good way to get their dogs shot.

Your own dogs should either be trained or restrained if you have livestock I hope.

I am the caretaker of the chickens that designed the coop rather than built it, but I sure can get you all of the answers you need by asking! My floor plan is attached, with the solid black boxes being the 4x4's and the distances between them shown. The rafters were built on 24" center.
CamScanner 05-18-2020 13.59.50-1.jpg

I am the caretaker of the chickens that designed the coop rather than built it, but I sure can get you all of the answers you need by asking! My floor plan is attached, with the solid black boxes being the 4x4's and the distances between them shown. The rafters were built on 24" center.

Thank you very much for this. I'm brand new to the chicken life and am trying to design (then build) my first coop. Living in central Florida I have the issue of heat, but also hurricanes. I want to build the most comfortable coop I can, but also make it sturdy enough to stand up to hurricanes. Do you have any suggestions or advice in that regard?

Also, what was the hole size of hardware cloth you used? Have you had any issues with larger predators trying to get in? We have raccoons, possums, feral cats, bobcats, coyote's, snakes and the occasional neighbors dog in the area. I want to make sure that I can keep all of them out and keep my chickens safe. I was thinking of putting in a hardware cloth wall inside between the "coop" area and rest of the run just to add an extra layer of protection, but would this be too much/unnecessary in your opinion?

@Shadowmadra78
I used 1/2” 19 gauge hardware cloth on my coop. I do have all the predators where I live as well, however I also have 8 dogs that live on my property that spread their scent, chase predators away, etc. I will say that I do not recommend chicken wire as it does not stand up to predators, as well as snakes can easily pass right through it (a mistake that I made on my first coop). As for the hardware cloth partition between your coop and run, if the rest of your run is predator proof then I do not think it is necessary however an extra barrier never hurt! I like the open concept that mine has for the chickens to be able to come and go as they please. As for holding up to hurricanes, we dug our 4x4 posts 2’ down and used quikcrete, whereas you may want to dig deeper and use concrete as well. Also, our roof is slanted 1.5’ and runs the water away from the coop. I would also recommend building the coop site up with dirt especially if your property floods.

For the roof I am looking at a 3:12 pitch (2.5' difference over 10 feet) to make sure the water runs off good and to stand up to the sometimes pounding rain we get, but I'm willing to go lower, just seems that 3:12 is a good choice. I like the design you did as it can possibly provide more shade for the chickens than what I was originally going for. Also more ventelation. Here's a picture of where I'm planning on putting the coop/run. It'll be in the back left corner there, near the two tree lines. Also it'll be getting sun for most of the day. What they're going to be on is the natural sand that's around the area already.

Attachments

• Coop and Run Location.jpg
    Coop and Run Location.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom