Texas Coop Build! Pic heavy!

Pics
This is wonderful...sure makes the whole "build" process easier (especially if you can't really build a box :) How did your girls do with this past winter, where it got so cold in Texas...I'm in Ca and our weather is similar...hot as heck in the summer and some freezing nights in the winter...
I had to tarp up the coop for the girls as they refused to step foot out into the snow and looked miserable with the blowing cold wind last year. Once I got the wind off of them, they were happy as could be with no added heat!

Hey. I love this. How many birds do you have?
Two years later... I now have closer to 70 birds LOL. This coop is no longer a full-time living quarter and is decked out with ample roosting and nesting areas that the chickens return to at night. The chickens go out into a 3k sqft chicken yard that used to be a bull pen during the day. I will have to go snap some updated pics.

Two years later... I now have closer to 70 birds LOL. This coop is no longer a full-time living quarter and is decked out with ample roosting and nesting areas that the chickens return to at night. The chickens go out into a 3k sqft chicken yard that used to be a bull pen during the day. I will have to go snap some updated pics.

Glad you're updating this thread.

Your coop was one of the main inspirations for my own big open air coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/

Update pics...

IMG-7971.jpg

IMG-7972.jpg

IMG-7974.jpg

IMG-7975.jpg

IMG-7976.jpg

As you may remember these nesting boxes from previous pics... well a snake was hiding under them so it is no longer nesting boxes LOL.
IMG-7978.jpg

Brooder with chick and chicken size door for integration underneath the poop board!
IMG-7979.jpg

IMG-7980.jpg

roosting bars hung from the rafters with 2x4s
IMG-7981.jpg

IMG-7982.jpg

I am waiting for my newly integrated 35 pullets to grow up before I decide if we are going to need more roosting LOL.... I'm sure we will. I am already planning on going to pick up some more boxes from TSC bc my eggs keep getting broken :(.

Love this. We have similar coop/runs. I just changed my roosts and added poop boards. Tonight is the first night they spread out Instead of crowding. I want to make brooder space beneath. I also want to get the dummies to quit laying on the ground. Ever since I added 13 to the 19 in this coop, I’m getting more and more ground eggs. Currently my 3 community roll out nest boxes are sitting on the ground. It is annoying to have eggs everywhere and I’m trying to figure out who is the egg eater.

We built the 38’ x 10’ coop/run combo at the edge of the woods In one field. I make them a fenced pasture area but the best ground cover and grasses are far away. Still trying to figure out how I want to handle it.

Back
Top Bottom