Texas duck family

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LakotaWolf, Nov 8, 2015.

1. LakotaWolf

LakotaWolf Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2015
    Hi folks. Yeah, I'm new to the forum and new to the world of breeders. I live just south of San Antonio in cattle country, but cattle ranching just isn't for me. I was looking for ways to supplement my Social Security income, decrease the food budget, and eat a little healthier. I looked into chicken farming, but everyone in this area has chickens. After some intense research, I opted for Pekin ducks. The wife, kids, and grand-kids love the idea, and jumped on the bandwagon. The wife also suggested I use the 12' X 12' tool storage room of her barn for a duck coop, (yeah, she has her 36' barn, and I have my 3 car hot rod garage). We figured on starting with 2 Drakes and 8 laying hens and see how it goes from there. We have a 100' X 100' welded wire fenced area for them to run in, so no worries there. I'll be on the forum daily looking for info on my newbie questions and new ideas.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Ducks are quite enjoyable to keep. Have you stopped by our Ducks section yet? You can share your experiences, pictures and all your stories about your journey with ducks with other duck keepers....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

So glad you could join our community and we do welcome you to our flock!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I would suggest you follow the link 2 Crows has given you. The Duck folks would be best at answering your questions.

4. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC!

5. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  6. LakotaWolf

LakotaWolf Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2015
    Sorry for my tardiness in responding, but I've been all over the forum reading as much as I can. To date, I figured out what size and shape I'll build the duck coop (using the wife's tool shop right now), the size shape and equipment for a brooder, and what hatchery I'll buy. The only decision right now is eggs, chicks, or full grown.
    My whole family sat down to discuss what job we'll do. I'll handle the financing and building, my wife will handle egg collecting, my daughter will handle the hatchery and brooder, my son in law will handle the butchering, and my grand son will handle the killing. He's looking forward to chopping off their heads and watching them run around (yeah, gotta have a long talk with that boy).
    Yup, we're definitely going with Pekin's. The girls are already practicing running around yelling AFLAK.

7. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Oh, you guys are going to have a really good time!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by