texasnaturalfeeds or purinamills feed?

Zinniah

Songster
Apr 12, 2015
Texas
I read some about these feeds already on this forum, but the posts were old and maybe things have changed since then. texas natural seemed to be bad.

These are the only brands my feed store carries. My chickens are currently 21 & 1/2 weeks, they are on starter crumbles still. Oh and they aren't laying and wont be for 2 or 3 more months.

In Purina - laying pellets and crumbles, medicated chick starter. http://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/
Texas Natural- scratch, laying pellets and crumbles, chick starter, and elite laying pellets. http://www.texasnaturalfeeds.com/

Last edited:
Alright, so I've never used Texas Natural, but I did a little digging and checked their website. Their nutritional values look great (I absolutely love the addition of probiotics and DE), and although I was a bit skeptical of the heavy use of peanut meal at first, I checked it out and studies are saying that it's looking to be a good soybean meal replacement. It also seems to be made locally, and offers a non-GMO line. As someone who works at a poultry-specific feed dealer, I gotta say these are all hallmarks of a good feed brand. Also, I did check a few threads on BYC, and the folks here seem to love it.

And frankly, Purina is a crap feed, and I personally would sooner let my birds eat dirt than Layena. Well, alright, maybe not dirt, but to me, Purina is beyond a last resort feed.

Alright, so I've never used Texas Natural, but I did a little digging and checked their website. Their nutritional values look great (I absolutely love the addition of probiotics and DE), and although I was a bit skeptical of the heavy use of peanut meal at first, I checked it out and studies are saying that it's looking to be a good soybean meal replacement. It also seems to be made locally, and offers a non-GMO line. As someone who works at a poultry-specific feed dealer, I gotta say these are all hallmarks of a good feed brand. Also, I did check a few threads on BYC, and the folks here seem to love it.

And frankly, Purina is a crap feed, and I personally would sooner let my birds eat dirt than Layena. Well, alright, maybe not dirt, but to me, Purina is beyond a last resort feed.
I might as well just try it, no harm done there. Worst thing could happen is they don't eat it and the birds and squirrels do! Thanks Misha

Just checked and two local feed stores near me apparently carry the Texas Natural Brand. I'd like to try it, but what about the fishmeal as a significant ingredient. Will eggs then have a fishy taste? That, and possibly price, might be my only concerns. Anyone have experience with feeding T.N. feed and egg flavor? Thanks.

Just checked and two local feed stores near me apparently carry the Texas Natural Brand. I'd like to try it, but what about the fishmeal as a significant ingredient. Will eggs then have a fishy taste? That, and possibly price, might be my only concerns. Anyone have experience with feeding T.N. feed and egg flavor? Thanks.

The fish meal won't affect the eggs taste, so no worries there. I would say there is about a $10 difference between the two feeds, at any place you will get it at. The price at my local store is $25 for texas natural layer feed and $14.50 for purina layer feed. The texas natural is much higher quality than purina which is why it's that much more costly.

The fish meal won't affect the eggs taste, so no worries there. I would say there is about a $10 difference between the two feeds, at any place you will get it at. The price at my local store is $25 for texas natural layer feed and $14.50 for purina layer feed. The texas natural is much higher quality than purina which is why it's that much more costly.
bought my first bag of Texas Natural Feed today. 50lbs of chick starter. They even offer natural feed for goats :D

bought my first bag of Texas Natural Feed today. 50lbs of chick starter. They even offer natural feed for goats :D

I bought a 50 lb starter about a week ago and they love it, which is good and all, but they are eating a lot more now. Feed bill is going to triple, haha..

I can only offer my personal experience.

After some research and concerns of others (and me) regarding the contents of Purina feeds, I chose Texas Natural feeds because they are Non-GMO and contain no soy. I have been feeding my 14 girls and Rudy the Rooster TN foods since day 1. Also, after quite a bit of reading regarding the concern of Roosters receiving excess calcium from foods formulated for layers, I chose to move them on to T.N. Broiler Grower at about 10 weeks. I provide crushed egg and oyster shells for supplemental calcium. Furthermore, all can forage in a large grassy area and an equally large wooded area in their pen. Judging from the egg shells, they are receiving adequate calcium.

Even though the girls and Rudy have a relatively large area in which to forage, I liked the additional protein that is in the Broiler Grower. Others that have a similar concern about calcium, but may choose TN Pullet Grower Pellets, which has a lower protein content (18% vs. 22% in the Broiler Grower). I must say that I supplement their feed with greens in the winter and vegetables (tomatoes, squash, etc.) in the summer from my garden. And, like many of us, I give them measured amounts of black oil sunflower seeds, chicken scratch and table scraps as treats

They have all grown to be beautiful, very active Rhode Island Reds. My extended family and neighbors are very happy with the number, size and quality of eggs we receive from them. Their pen is a little secluded in the back of our 8+ acres, so I visit them two three times a day. I have no plans to butcher them as their egg production wains. They are my pets and I so much enjoy having them.

Obviously, this is not a scientifically based comparison of the two feeds, and I have not found such a study online.

I've been very happy with the Purina feeds, and haven't been concerned about the soy/ non-GMO issues either. One thing I do look for is fresh feed; I check the date on the bags, because the vitamins deteriorate over time, and fresh is best, regardless of brand. My local feed stores also have a short list of available feeds, so I pick the best available here. Mary

Back
Top Bottom