Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Random ramblings post !

I'll do a chicken post later today, but before I will finally write something about my aunt, Marie-Mad, who was my deceased uncle Bernard's wife. I have been wanting to write about her for a while, because she is one of the most wonderful person in my family and the type of person that is like a shining light to anyone who meets her. She is kind, listens to people, really tries to understand them even when she doesn't agree and thinks about doing things right in many aspects of everyday life. Whereas my uncle was controversial, and could be as annoying as he was sincere and passionate, I don't think anyone who meets Marie-mad can not love her.

First, I have to speak a bit about her father Lucien because it explains a lot about her. He was half belgian and came from a poor rural family who farmed land that did not belong to them. He was extremely ambitious and intelligent, so he got himself a higher education and managed to get introduced in cultural diplomatic circles. He went on to make a career as a french high school principal in various countries : Athens, Tokyo, Moscow, Istanbul...taking his wife and two daughters along with him. They had a multicultural and multilingual childhood. But, while I knew him as a very well cultivated, curious and lively old man, he was extremely hard and demanding as a father in his upbringing. Both his daughters became brilliant students, leaving him to go study in France as soon as possible.
Marie-mad became a very good friend of my mum as they were doing the same classics studies, and my mum introduced her to her older brother.

While they were very different, it is no suprise it clicked between them, because they were very complementary, and I think they shared the same vision for justice and wanting to act to change things in whatever way they could. She was also rather independent and when my uncle went to work abroad, first she followed him but when they had kids she stayed in France with them and they got used to living together for some months and separated for others.
She quit working when her children were small but when they grew up she got invested in various associations. She did a lot of language and literacy teaching ; mostly among older women from Maghreb, through cooking workshops. She learnt some algerian herself, and a lot of great recipes from many different countries. She also did some end of life assistance visiting. Then she began helping refugees to write their application request for asylum. First she worked with translators for middle east populations. But after a few years she took to studying hard to get russian back, which she had learned as a child, and she was able to interact directly with all russian speaking migrants. There was an affluence of arrivals with the wars in Chechnia in the town she lived in with my uncle, Lyon, so she did that for a long time and it became almost a full time job.
When my uncle died she went on for another year or two, and she stopped. It was very hard for her.
She went back to literacy cooking workshops but she also found herself on the late a new passion for physical geography and especially geomorphology. For the last years she has been travelling all around France for geological discovery trips and spends most of her time reading and attending conferences about that.

It sounds like a life of roses, but one thing that probably made her the thoughtful person she has become is that she lost unexpectedly a few important people. Her mother passed young, around 45, and so did her younger sister, who was a doctor and died of stomach cancer after a few years of pain. Then, my elder aunt died very fast of brain cancer : they had grown very fond of one another because they had children the same age and had spent all their holidays together for years. And finally my uncle died in Tchad, most abruptly and ironically of dehydration on a humanitarian mission to build water wells.

A nice thing she told me at Christmas is that when her own dad Lucien retired and began growing older, he completely changed and became adorable with his daughters, as he actually was with other people. So she found her dad again.

I really love my aunt and I have always felt a strong bond with her. I visited her several times after my uncle died because the national library school is close to where she lived, and I had to attend conferences and trainings for work. A few months after my uncle died, I did my first long distance race, the mythical "Saintélyon" which is a night race in December from Saint-Etienne to Lyon where my aunt lived. So I had arranged to spend two days at her home because I was doing a seminar in the middle of the week after in Lyon. My race was great, but she had anticipated what I hadn't thought about, that I would be sore to the point of not being able to get up the next day, so she had made me a bed on her sofa in the living room which was right next to the kitchen and she brought me lunch and dinner on a tray. Then the day after she took me for a small very slow walk in the parc and told me all about the time my uncle had attempted a 100 km race out of the blue and was mad because he did not finish 🥰. Wonderful memory.

My aunt is one of the few members of my family who came to spend a few days with us to see how we live, and she got my partner hooked on physical geography and they went for excruciatingly slow hikes staring at the ground. She's also the one who dug up old photos of my grandma as a child feeding hens in Algeria.

I've been much too long already so I won't go on and on but I will just finish by saying I was once again very happy to see her at Christmas, and this was the point when my mood switched from horrible, to I have to see the good in small things even though the world is crumbling 😁.

A picture of us two when she came here in August 2021, on one of those slow educational geophysical hikes.
View attachment 3720395
she sounds like a remarkable woman. I hope you can continue to enjoy her company and her stimulation for many years yet.

Back to the chickens ! 32 ml of rain yesterday and my partner came home safe, but he did drive on snow in the last village before turning around. We had a much nicer day today than forecasted. In the morning it was 0/32, but because it snowed on the mountains all around us, it felt quite cold. It warmed up nicely after lunch though and there was quite a bit of sunshine.
The chickens were very happy that the rain had stopped and they all came out early in the morning in spite of the mud and cold. But I saw Piou-piou wasn't doing great in the cold I brought her inside for a little while until the sun came out.
I found her a bit more worrying today. She had the attitude of a chicken in pain, and it's not justified by the visible wounds, which are almost all already healed. She keeps picking at her scabs and pulling feathers out. It can be from stress, but today she went inside the woodshed with no hesitation. But she is very worried when the hens that bully her come near, mainly Nougat and Kara, and also when the roosters approach. Either she feels very vulnerable or she is in pain and she is afraid of getting hurt more. So unfortunately I think it will take her some time to heal. I'm not sure what to do with her next week as there is a wave of cold, and since she has no feathers on a huge part of her body it will be a problem. We don't really have an appropriate space to bring her inside with intermediate temperatures, in our living rooms when the stove is on it's usually around 21, 22 (70) so a lot warmer than outside and I suppose such temperatures difference are not great. But if I put her in our bedroom which is much cooler, she won't see anybody for all the time she stays there, and even if it's just for an hour or two i dont like that idea. My other option is to keep her again in the crate inside the coop, which is always several degrees warmer than outside.
Also, she went to roost very early and Théo joined her, and he was pecking at her on the head quite hard. Not sure why ? Maybe he is unhappy she doesn't stay with him during the day ?
I am still feeding her apart twice a day, because I'm afraid she won't have enough to eat if she is too afraid of some of the other chickens. Today I tried putting aloe gel with a tiny amount of tea tree oil to stop her from pecking at her skin and it seemed to work, but only for about half an hour 😐.

I also took Théo inside to weigh him and have a look all over him. So I'm sure he doesn't have any visible parasites, which was an option, everything looks fine underneath the feathers, however he has indeed lost a lot of weight since the last time I weighed him which was ages ago, in september 2022. He went from 1.4 kilo to 1 kilo now (hope I don't mess up with the conversion : from 3 to 2.2 Ibs). Since it was such a long time ago and he was still the dominant rooster then, I'm not sure how and when it happened but he would need some filling in. It's not easy because like most roosters he doesn't care for food much. The only treats he likes are sunflower seeds and bread, and I don't think I can give him enough to make him gain weight. Also since I can't catch him it will be difficult to take him aside to give him special food unless I do it in the morning when I take him off his roost. He hasn't been back inside the woodshed yet so he must be still feeling stressed.

Cannelle also seems to not be doing great the last two days, but I can't tell if it's really an issue or just the cold. On the other hand, Léa is finally doing better. She has began foraging with the other chickens again and even coming out in the garden. Her molt doesn't seem over at all, she is still full of pins on her head, but she is acting much more like her usual self.

Early morning. Both roosters on the same picture !
IMG_20240106_094035.jpg

Expect a lot of close ups, I'm trying to get pictures for the cellphone contest with my crappy redmi chinese low-cost phone 🤣.
IMG_20240106_094123.jpg
Laure
IMG_20240106_094204.jpg

Mélisse
IMG_20240106_094222.jpg
IMG_20240106_094225.jpg

Blanche is not doing too bad.
IMG_20240106_094228.jpg
piou-piou, looking in pain.
IMG_20240106_094441.jpg

Get out of my food right now.
IMG_20240106_110636.jpg
IMG_20240106_110652.jpg

Kara also lays on the floor now.
IMG_20240106_110714.jpg
Annette still lays in a nest box , she hasn't followed the latest trend of laying on the floor.
IMG_20240106_110727.jpg

Théo and Piou-piou
IMG_20240106_114928.jpg
IMG_20240106_115003.jpg
IMG_20240106_115013.jpg

Lilly's foot is healing nicely ! We are hopefully soon finally over bumblefoot !
IMG_20240106_115046.jpg
IMG_20240106_115117.jpg
IMG_20240106_133202.jpg

Léa is a lot more confident these last days.
IMG_20240106_143736.jpg

Kara the bully.
IMG_20240106_143801.jpg

Random ramblings post !

I'll do a chicken post later today, but before I will finally write something about my aunt, Marie-Mad, who was my deceased uncle Bernard's wife. I have been wanting to write about her for a while, because she is one of the most wonderful person in my family and the type of person that is like a shining light to anyone who meets her. She is kind, listens to people, really tries to understand them even when she doesn't agree and thinks about doing things right in many aspects of everyday life. Whereas my uncle was controversial, and could be as annoying as he was sincere and passionate, I don't think anyone who meets Marie-mad can not love her.

First, I have to speak a bit about her father Lucien because it explains a lot about her. He was half belgian and came from a poor rural family who farmed land that did not belong to them. He was extremely ambitious and intelligent, so he got himself a higher education and managed to get introduced in cultural diplomatic circles. He went on to make a career as a french high school principal in various countries : Athens, Tokyo, Moscow, Istanbul...taking his wife and two daughters along with him. They had a multicultural and multilingual childhood. But, while I knew him as a very well cultivated, curious and lively old man, he was extremely hard and demanding as a father in his upbringing. Both his daughters became brilliant students, leaving him to go study in France as soon as possible.
Marie-mad became a very good friend of my mum as they were doing the same classics studies, and my mum introduced her to her older brother.

While they were very different, it is no suprise it clicked between them, because they were very complementary, and I think they shared the same vision for justice and wanting to act to change things in whatever way they could. She was also rather independent and when my uncle went to work abroad, first she followed him but when they had kids she stayed in France with them and they got used to living together for some months and separated for others.
She quit working when her children were small but when they grew up she got invested in various associations. She did a lot of language and literacy teaching ; mostly among older women from Maghreb, through cooking workshops. She learnt some algerian herself, and a lot of great recipes from many different countries. She also did some end of life assistance visiting. Then she began helping refugees to write their application request for asylum. First she worked with translators for middle east populations. But after a few years she took to studying hard to get russian back, which she had learned as a child, and she was able to interact directly with all russian speaking migrants. There was an affluence of arrivals with the wars in Chechnia in the town she lived in with my uncle, Lyon, so she did that for a long time and it became almost a full time job.
When my uncle died she went on for another year or two, and she stopped. It was very hard for her.
She went back to literacy cooking workshops but she also found herself on the late a new passion for physical geography and especially geomorphology. For the last years she has been travelling all around France for geological discovery trips and spends most of her time reading and attending conferences about that.

It sounds like a life of roses, but one thing that probably made her the thoughtful person she has become is that she lost unexpectedly a few important people. Her mother passed young, around 45, and so did her younger sister, who was a doctor and died of stomach cancer after a few years of pain. Then, my elder aunt died very fast of brain cancer : they had grown very fond of one another because they had children the same age and had spent all their holidays together for years. And finally my uncle died in Tchad, most abruptly and ironically of dehydration on a humanitarian mission to build water wells.

A nice thing she told me at Christmas is that when her own dad Lucien retired and began growing older, he completely changed and became adorable with his daughters, as he actually was with other people. So she found her dad again.

I really love my aunt and I have always felt a strong bond with her. I visited her several times after my uncle died because the national library school is close to where she lived, and I had to attend conferences and trainings for work. A few months after my uncle died, I did my first long distance race, the mythical "Saintélyon" which is a night race in December from Saint-Etienne to Lyon where my aunt lived. So I had arranged to spend two days at her home because I was doing a seminar in the middle of the week after in Lyon. My race was great, but she had anticipated what I hadn't thought about, that I would be sore to the point of not being able to get up the next day, so she had made me a bed on her sofa in the living room which was right next to the kitchen and she brought me lunch and dinner on a tray. Then the day after she took me for a small very slow walk in the parc and told me all about the time my uncle had attempted a 100 km race out of the blue and was mad because he did not finish 🥰. Wonderful memory.

My aunt is one of the few members of my family who came to spend a few days with us to see how we live, and she got my partner hooked on physical geography and they went for excruciatingly slow hikes staring at the ground. She's also the one who dug up old photos of my grandma as a child feeding hens in Algeria.

I've been much too long already so I won't go on and on but I will just finish by saying I was once again very happy to see her at Christmas, and this was the point when my mood switched from horrible, to I have to see the good in small things even though the world is crumbling 😁.

A picture of us two when she came here in August 2021, on one of those slow educational geophysical hikes.
View attachment 3720395
Thank you for sharing. She sounds like a very special person.

Random ramblings post !

View attachment 3720395
I’m so glad you have such a great aunt. I love to read your ramblings and hope you continue to share them with us!
I’m wondering what ever became of that horse that was living on its own???

I’m so glad you have such a great aunt. I love to read your ramblings and hope you continue to share them with us!
I’m wondering what ever became of that horse that was living on its own???
Thank you!
Gribouille the horse's saga....sorry, this calls for a long answer 🤣. I don't know if you read about the ugly drama when my neighbour Amelia brought the horse back to live with her cows, that he had become friends with when she brought them to pasture where he lived. It turned out that the horse actually wasn't abandoned but belonged to our friend, the old farmer Gaston, though he had never acknowledged it because he had left him without any care for more than ten years. Gaston showed up at Amelia's with the horse's paper and things got very ugly between the two of them. After a lot of village gossip and talking and negotiations, they came to an agreement that the horse was supposed to go live with another horse in the village that belongs to Gaston's nephew's girlfriend, See you, a rescued arabian. However, I don't know what happened exactly, because in the end the horse stayed with Amelia and is still with the cows. He is thirty years old, so taking him in to care for him is obviously meaning doing a good deed but getting a bunch of worries.
About ten days ago, the day we were going to my parents for Christmas, Amelia called my partner to come over, she was in a panic because the horse had fallen on a steep slope next to her house and was lying down head first over a stone wall with a two meters gap under, and she was alone at home. Then her friend came back, he and my partner tried to pull the horse with straps, but only managed to turn him around. That made the horse panic and he jumped down the wall. He was miraculously safe, they were all expecting the worse as he went on his knee, but he got back up and just walked over to the cows, and then he was fine !
So back to the chickens again. Every day seems to bring both good and bad news. Piou-piou seemed much better today. We kept her a longer time inside in the morning and then we locked her in the coop when she wanted to lay : we don't want her to lay in the barn anymore because two days ago the egg from her nest disappeared and I found a suspicious dropping that could be that of a cat or a fox 😐. So she ended up laying in the coop after a lot of complaints and then she had a really good day!
I gave Theo a special dish as soon as he got off the roost before the other chickens began coming out of the netting and he ate about half of it, I will try doing for two weeks and see if he puts a bit of weight back on.
My partner started working on the chicken's run, he dug holes for the poles and the chickens were happy to help !

The really bad new though is that I was wrong about Lilly healing her foot. Tonight I felt very clearly that a small ball of hard pus is growing again where the vet took it out, above the foot. Not sure what we will do at this stage.

Not a good picture but a funny scene : Alba and Nieva chased Hibou the cat until she had to climb in the tree to escape them 😁.

IMG_20240107_081114.jpg
IMG_20240107_133349.jpg
IMG_20240107_134517.jpg
IMG_20240107_134528.jpg

Léa is hanging out with Gaston again, definitely feeling better !
IMG_20240107_135005.jpg

Blanche doing pretty good.
IMG_20240107_142117.jpg
IMG_20240107_142404.jpg
IMG_20240107_142451.jpg
IMG_20240107_142505.jpg

IMG_20240107_142528.jpg
IMG_20240107_142608.jpg
IMG_20240107_142635.jpg
IMG_20240107_143027.jpg

Chipie is a chicken of chaos. This morning she screamed for ten minutes alarm getting Gaston all over the place. Then she got pecked by Cannelle in the eye after picking a fight and her her eye closed all morning. She felt better in the afternoon and spent it running after Kara with her hackles raised and her wings drooling low, trying to pick a fight.. again! Gaston tried to get her back to reason.
IMG_20240107_191856.jpg

It's another brilliant series from the bbc nature department. The episode on 'Human' focuses on the wildlife that's adapted to live in our environment, with all its ups and downs, from the pavement ants that consume tens of thousands of discarded hot dogs per annum on Broadway in New York, to cobras that move slower among people who revere them, so they don't frighten and attack each other, in Bengal. That rhino is a regular in a town in Nepal.
I remember being so addicted to Planet Earth II. It was too outstanding. My husband only allowed me one episode per day... Last time I was so addicted it was Harry Potter in high school. So well done Brits!

Ohhh, I can go rewatch Planet Earth II before I have III. :D

I also enjoyed reading about your aunt. It warmed my heart!

And finally my uncle died in Tchad, most abruptly and ironically of dehydration on a humanitarian mission to build water wells.
I don't know why I keep thinking about this tragedy. Yes, how ironic! I am sorry.

I have a great bond with my uncle, who is my mom's older brother. My parents lived with my uncle's family until I was 11. However, our bond really formed after my graduate study in the USA.

We are too far south to be hit by the polar cold wave, but it was still a dreary day. Not cold but grey and drizzling, from 0/32 in the morning to 3/37 in the afternoon. That didn't stop the chickens from spending most of the day outside. Apparently cold for them is under 3 and they don't mind the humidity as much as the wind.

I kept Piou-piou inside until ten this morning. She was sleeping inside the crate and I was afraid it would be too cold and damp for her outside, but once I took her out she seemed pretty good. She was shivering a bit when she got snow on her bare skin 🥶 but she stayed active. She quickly had heavy mudshoes from scratching around, and she moved even more sluggish than these last days. She does go to roost about an hour earlier than she normally would. Merle seems to be thinking about coming back into laying and reacquainting herself with Théo, she slept next to him for the first time in quite a while and he seemed very happy about it.

There is a lot of quarrelling and fight picking betweens the hens now. It's complicated because each hen has one or two hens she will pick on and one or two hens she is terrified of, but it goes in circle : for example Piou-piou picks on Alba who bullies Kara, but Kara terrifies Piou-piou. There are no real alliances or friendship between them, though. They will hang out a bit together but there is no really bonded pair or group, even those that hatched together are not necessarily staying together. And probably there are too many hens to make a coherent tribe, but still I feel it is better than when there was the ex-batts group against everyone else.

My partner worked a bit on the run but it was just too wet to do much. I think it will be the same tomorrow. We are still hesitant about some of the modifications such as whether to add another chicken size door, where to put the human door, and if we need to have concrete all around or just on the side that's more exposed to the wind.

IMG_20240108_144157.jpg
IMG_20240108_144155.jpg
IMG_20240108_144153.jpg
IMG_20240108_144148.jpg
IMG_20240108_144126.jpg
IMG_20240108_144124.jpg
IMG_20240108_144109.jpg
IMG_20240108_144105.jpg

🐈 Today I saw a neighbour cat from next door as if he wanted to run and attack something near the chicken run. I distracted him.. he backed off.
When I went outside to see what he was aiming at / up to, I saw another neighbour cat from the other side of our garden. This black cat was entering the run where she likes to hide to catch sparrows.
It was clear he didn’t aim for the chickens but for a rival. 😅
And I was just in time to stop her from hiding inside.
We are still hesitant about some of the modifications such as whether to add another chicken size door, where to put the human door, and if we need to have concrete all around or just on the side that's more exposed to the wind.
You have to explain more if you like another opinion. BTW, concrete is not easy to modify if you like to make adjustments later on. So I would probably use bricks or wood.

Back
Top Bottom