Théo and the chickens des Sauches

One of the neighbour's cats was watching them from the top of a wall when I last saw them, as I went to rescue a not-quite-fledged thrush chick from Polka's attack. I don't know if the cat or the fledgling had a role in her outside roosting, but given Polka's spent the last 3 weeks out (bar last night), she probably thinks she knows what's she's doing. I just hope Fez does what his/her mum tells him/her to do overnight :fl - and that they don't come out too early in the morning. A large dog fox was seen nearby earlier this evening.

One of the neighbour's cats was watching them from the top of a wall when I last saw them, as I went to rescue a not-quite-fledged thrush chick from Polka's attack. I don't know if the cat or the fledgling had a role in her outside roosting, but given Polka's spent the last 3 weeks out (bar last night), she probably thinks she knows what's she's doing. I just hope Fez does what his/her mum tells him/her to do overnight :fl - and that they don't come out too early in the morning. A large dog fox was seen nearby earlier this evening.
Hoping for the best, let us know if you find them !

she kept me on tenterhooks till 9am :barnie but finally I'm pleased to report they made it... on the nth circuit of the garden I heard her quiet clucking; she was in a dense border next to the house and the coops, as it happens. And now after a hearty breakfast of mealworms they're off exploring again for foraging 101 :p

she kept me on tenterhooks till 9am :barnie but finally I'm pleased to report they made it... on the nth circuit of the garden I heard her quiet clucking; she was in a dense border next to the house and the coops, as it happens. And now after a hearty breakfast of mealworms they're off exploring again for foraging 101 :p
Very happy to read this !
So in fact she was very close by, but very well hidden ?
Maybe nothing scared her and she just prefers roosting outside 😯.

Phew!

Indeed; I think you're right :)
Maybe Merle has similar tendencies?
Actually I had a very hard time convincing her to sleep in the coop yesterday night ! She was broody and her nest is in the woodshed 🙁. It broke her broodiness, I think.

I am seeing quite a few changes in the chickens interaction, some due to the new arrivals, and some to the fact that three of my ex-batts are not feeling so well and not physically able to be as mean as they used to.

One of these changes is that Cannelle has become friend with Piou-piou. She has found out how to get out of the chicken yard through the compost and has realized her dream of becoming a free range chicken. She now follows Piou-piou around everywhere to learn the ways of the art. She even goes to lay up in the barn where Piou-piou lays 🙂.

The four chickens are already integrated. The black pullets are being a bit bullied but it's for good measure. We have named them Kara, Lily, and the white girls Alba and Nieva (obviously).
Gaston is completely smitten, much to Merle's disarray.

Léa is getting a bit too agressive protecting her chicks. She attacked Blanche viciously - Blanche was indeed going to peck a chick, but she's so unwell that it was really violent and we thought she had passed out 🙁. She also attacked Piou-piou, Chipie, and terrified Lily and Kara, but not Merle and Cannelle who curiously frighten her. This afternoon she was confronted to eagles circling high above - she hid the chicks in higher grass for a very long time.

Broody conspiracy: Chipie's turn ! Hibou the cat is wondering what's going on.
IMG_20230601_162418.jpg

This dude is Max. He has been an obvious cockerel candidate from day 3. He is often apart from the other chicks and very stubborn. He has huge feet and already a bigger comb.
IMG_20230601_155119.jpg

IMG_20230601_155029.jpg

IMG_20230601_154932.jpg

This picture shows I think that it's like Alba has always been here.
IMG_20230601_150332.jpg

Hiding in the tall grass
IMG_20230601_132754.jpg

IMG_20230601_123617.jpg

IMG_20230601_092348.jpg

New kids on the block.
IMG_20230601_100917.jpg

IMG_20230601_112128.jpg

IMG_20230601_093821.jpg

IMG_20230601_093749.jpg

My partner has nicknamed her "little devil" and it suits her well.
IMG_20230601_084257.jpg

Stretching this morning in my room I saw Cannelle staring at me fascinated. It's the first time she sees the humans coop!
IMG_20230601_073552.jpg

Piou-piou is coughing a bit and she is also acting depressed that she doesn't have a team to hang out with anymore. We're wondering what to do with her in the long term.
IMG_20230601_072747.jpg

Unfortunately Hibou has likely destroyed the tit's nest that was behind the chick's coop. She has however alerted us to a weakness in the mesh of the top of the run which we have repaired.
IMG_20230601_093005.jpg

IMG_20230601_070404.jpg

IMG_20230531_153522~2.jpg

Actually I had a very hard time convincing her to sleep in the coop yesterday night ! She was broody and her nest is in the woodshed 🙁. It broke her broodiness, I think.

I am seeing quite a few changes in the chickens interaction, some due to the new arrivals, and some to the fact that three of my ex-batts are not feeling so well and not physically able to be as mean as they used to.

One of these changes is that Cannelle has become friend with Piou-piou. She has found out how to get out of the chicken yard through the compost and has realized her dream of becoming a free range chicken. She now follows Piou-piou around everywhere to learn the ways of the art. She even goes to lay up in the barn where Piou-piou lays 🙂.

The four chickens are already integrated. The black pullets are being a bit bullied but it's for good measure. We have named them Kara, Lily, and the white girls Alba and Nieva (obviously).
Gaston is completely smitten, much to Merle's disarray.

Léa is getting a bit too agressive protecting her chicks. She attacked Blanche viciously - Blanche was indeed going to peck a chick, but she's so unwell that it was really violent and we thought she had passed out 🙁. She also attacked Piou-piou, Chipie, and terrified Lily and Kara, but not Merle and Cannelle who curiously frighten her. This afternoon she was confronted to eagles circling high above - she hid the chicks in higher grass for a very long time.

Broody conspiracy: Chipie's turn ! Hibou the cat is wondering what's going on.
View attachment 3525732
This dude is Max. He has been an obvious cockerel candidate from day 3. He is often apart from the other chicks and very stubborn. He has huge feet and already a bigger comb.
View attachment 3525733
View attachment 3525734
View attachment 3525735
This picture shows I think that it's like Alba has always been here.
View attachment 3525736
Hiding in the tall grass
View attachment 3525737
View attachment 3525738
View attachment 3525745
New kids on the block.
View attachment 3525739
View attachment 3525741
View attachment 3525742
View attachment 3525743
My partner has nicknamed her "little devil" and it suits her well.
View attachment 3525748
Stretching this morning in my room I saw Cannelle staring at me fascinated. It's the first time she sees the humans coop!
View attachment 3525749
Piou-piou is coughing a bit and she is also acting depressed that she doesn't have a team to hang out with anymore. We're wondering what to do with her in the long term.
View attachment 3525750
Unfortunately Hibou has likely destroyed the tit's nest that was behind the chick's coop. She has however alerted us to a weakness in the mesh of the top of the run which we have repaired.
View attachment 3525744
View attachment 3525751
View attachment 3525753
Great 👍 update !

It surprises me that you are so concerned if any of your chickens get sick, but you let Lea walk around with her chicks. Same for Perris letting Polka and Fez free range.

It makes we wonder if I could do the same here. I was always convinced it would be too dangerous to let the mamas free range with their chicks in my backyard. With four/five neighbour cats hanging around. And high grass behind the garden where life gets dangerous as far as I know. I probably lost one of my adult RIR’s out there last year.

I see that the mama’s are very eager to leave the run to take the little ones outside. Sometimes it breaks my heart to keep them locked in.

Did you ever loose chicks in the past while they where out and about with their mama’s?

PS. What is a dog fox @Perris ?

Back
Top Bottom