Thailand Anyone?

Hi again everyone,

Have recently hatched a bunch of chicks, all RIR (production red type but very pretty) and also Red Sex-Linked x RIR.

And, of course, I've ended up with way more roos than I can cope with. We've never had to process our own chickens before, and we're not sure we have the stomach for it.

Anyone wanting baby roosters for flock protection/breeding by any chance??? They come from excellent laying stock, have been hand-raised and fed almost organically.
fl.gif

Red Sex-Link rooster 6 months old

RIR 4 months old

All up...I've got about 10 boys to find new homes for.

Failing that...does anyone know of somewhere I can take spare roosters for processing (for us to eat)?

Last edited:
Can't beat home raised chicken though!!! It's tougher than the store bought stuff, but so much tastier. If you do end up processing them, you might want to consider brining or aging before cooking. It really makes the meat tender. If you have the room, it's worth keeping them until they are 6 months or older. You'd be surprised how bony they are at this age. I wish we were closer. I'd like a RIR rooster from a different line for breeding with our hens. If you are going to keep a rooster and breed your hens, I'd be interested in buying eggs from you. We live in Chaing Rai now and make an occasional trip to Chaing Mai. We're about to start our incubator up. Going to try Production Reds, Plymouth Rocks, and Leghorns from bestchum.

I do already have THREE adult RIR roosters, one from a different line to the other two....so yes....no need to keep their sons at this point.

I just hatched 19 chicks over the last 6 months and out of those 12 of those are boys!!! The dog unfortunately got one chick (a pullet of course
somad.gif
).

The next time you're in Chiang Mai let me know and I can save some fertile eggs for you.
smile.png
Or, if I've still got a baby roo (the youngest batch of boys are around 8 weeks old now), you could have one of those?

Good luck with the eggs from Bestchum. I've been wanting to hatch some Plymouth Rocks too, but we're needing to move house this year so I need to be patient and wait and see where we end up. (Hopefully with enough room to have some more chickens and get more serious about breeding......ssshhh, don't tell my husband I said that!).

Last edited:
Perhaps if we get a rooster with this next hatch we could swap roosters/eggs? Course, can't promise anything there. This is our first time with an incubator and we are ordering eggs through the mail. I've read that if we are lucky, we'll get a 50% hatch rate. Last couple of hatches, after all was said and done, we've ended up with mostly hens. I really want to try to breed "Black Rocks". That's why I'm trying the Plymouth Rocks again. Hopefully better luck with them this time. I'll let you know when we have plans to come to CM. Probably not for a couple of months. Depends on when I use up my special stuff from Rimping!:)

Hi again,

That sounds great. So funny though - Black Rocks - that's exactly what I want to do to!

In the meantime, if you hear of anyone wanting some nice looking roosters I sure would appreciate you sending them my way.

These boys are mostly hand raised (we have 9 kids so there's no option for them to be handled or not....the kids adore them), and they are really friendly.

Ahhh, I see. They are the family pets. That does make butchering a bit difficult. I don't know anyone in CM really, but I'll pass the word along if I have the opportunity.

It seems like it's so difficult to find quality stock here that I am thinking that I might get healthier heartier chickens by making my own hybrids. That's why I'm interested in breeding Black Rocks.

I came from a family of 9 kids!:)

Back
Top Bottom