Thank y'all

LargeLarry

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 11, 2013
Hi I'm LargeLarry and I thank you all for the warm and inviting Welcome.
I am just about ready, been building coop for 8 months, to add chickens. I am looking for "Production Reds" hens for sale in my area and Buff Orpingtons. Maybe some Sex Link.
I'm new and tend to overthink what I do. I'm open to all suggestions.
Thanks again for the Welcome

welcome-byc.gif
Good advice from Redsoxs. You might also check out your local craig's list.

Redsox,
Thanks for the good advise.
As life sometimes has it the local feed store had a "buy 6 and get 6 free sale" so I am now the proud owner of 9 RIR and 3 Brahma little girls.

So I did all the things that I read about, been coming to this site for 2 years, wrong. Coop wasn't finished, no equiptment, and birds where only 5 weeks, Into a large dog crate for the night. Manufactured 2 temp feeders, from cardboard egg cartons and a 2 liter pie pan waterer. Complete with drilling the top hole too high the first time. As it was getting dark it occured to me I couldn't leave them on the driveway overnight. Critters. So with the gracious permission of my wife, this is a big deal. She's a clean freak, I move the whole thing into the laundry room. That lasted one full day before I was notified that they HAVE TO GO OUTSIDE. Coop got secured, not finished, with an open roof (wired). Then the weather turned cold. Took my chances and when I looked, just after dark, they were all piled on top of each other and good in the morning.

So I'm finding out chickens are pretty resilient and all of my thinking and worrying was for not. I should have all the automatic feeder and water systems assembled this weekend and the girls can go out into the run.

The venture to be continued.

Again thanks for the support.

Thank you all for your warm welcome.

I just learned about "green tea oil" and it's many atributes. Thanks to BYC

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

As you've seen, this is a great place to learn. It's a great place to share your chicken hobby - with a bunch of enablers who have "been there, done that," too. Over thinking can be a good thing; it never hurts to be prepared. Of course, a lot of us have done what you did, too - took advantage of an opportunity and jumped in before we were fully prepared! Sounds like you'll fit right in here. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom