Thank you for the help =)

just like any bird hatched in an incubator you leave them alone until fully dry. Goslings take longer than chickens/ducks to get up on their feet and become steady.

You need to have a brooder set up and ready for the gosling. It needs a heat source on one end and a cool end with food and water available.

I suggest you buy and read Storeys guide to geese ASAP as geese require different care from chickens and grow very quickly. Diet, housing, heat are all different from the needs of newly hatched chicks.

I have everything all set up, I'm just worried about him eating

I have everything all set up, I'm just worried about him eating
Sometimes it take a day or 2 for them to start to eat, have it ready and after the gosling is completely dry and up moving around show it the water first by dipping its bill into it, you may have to do it several times before it gets the hang of it. but usually after second day they are ready.

oh ok, thank goodness, he has taken a couple of bites of the feed and I have dipped his bill in the water. I'm very relieved that he is ok.
Glad to hear it's beginning to show interest. also some really finely cut grass may interest the baby once it gets its appetite. just make sure to offer some chick grit when feeding anything other than it's starter. and pics when you can.
smile.png

I don't know how to put pictures on here haha, but I'll try. he's taking a nap right now under the lamp, we have a storm moving in that I heard outside and it's getting pretty dark, maybe the storm is upsetting him. Sorry to ask, what is chick grit?

I don't know how to put pictures on here haha, but I'll try. he's taking a nap right now under the lamp, we have a storm moving in that I heard outside and it's getting pretty dark, maybe the storm is upsetting him. Sorry to ask, what is chick grit?
chick grit is what they use to grind their food other than their starter. since they don't have teeth to chew with they have a crop and that is where they chew[grind up] their food. you can buy grit in the grocery store on the pet food isle where they keep the bird products if you don't think you'll need a lot of it or at a feed store like TSC. but don't mix it into the goslings food put it into another container and he'll use it as needed. if you are going to have your gosling outside a lot it maybe able to get enough grit from tiny pieces of rocks laying around but I think I would just go ahead and offer some in the brooder. I doubt your gosling is afraid they just sleep a lot when first hatched does it have a stuffed animal to cuddle with?

I'll go to the store when I have someone here to watch him, he has a very soft hand towel to curl up in and I put a little water in the feed, that seems to make it a little easier for him. He is very vocal when I get out of his sight so I'm trying to find a small stuffed animal to put in with the towel. Thank you so much for helping me with this.

Back
Top Bottom