Thanks for the add!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ConfusedIndian, Mar 9, 2017.

1. ConfusedIndian

ConfusedIndian New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    Greetings to one and all!
    My name is Mike and I am the Campus Director at a boys ranch in west Texas. We have 12 boys in our care and 8 staff members. Our boys range in age from 8-16 and we live in a small community (population around 1200) and numerous kids in school have chickens that they show in the county stock show. Recently the boys became interested in raising chickens while at the Ft. Worth stock show. We started looking into them, built our own coop and surrounding run-around. A neighbor in town had several chickens he was willing to sell us at a discount price! Between the boys and staff, they purchased 13 hens, several Light Brahmas , Buff Brahmas, Americanas, Barred Rocks and a hybrid that he couldn't remember what it was. Since then we've purchased several chicks and are raising them separately until they get big enough to transition into the "big-girls" pen. The chicks are Silkies, more Light and Buff Brahmas, another Barred Rock or two, Blue Laced Wyandottes and a couple of Speckled Sussex.
    We readily admit we are "chicken challenged", but our friend has helped us out a lot, like telling us about BackYard Chicken! We're learning quit a bit about them and the boys are having a blast learning the breed names and especially finding eggs in the roost!

Thanks for adding us to your community!

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry lover!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Mike, and [​IMG]! It's great to have you here and thank you for the work you do! Lots of great lessons to be learned by young men that can be taught through poultry raising. You might want to check out the Learning Center if you haven't:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    It has a lot of articles that will provide a ton of knowledge to you and the crew! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Mike, it's nice to have you here! Kids and chickens go together like peas and carrots, I'm sure the kids are enjoying them very much (and they're learning valuable things too, but you don't have to let the kids know that).

Make yourself at home here and always feel free to ask questions!

1 person likes this.
  5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! There is something special about the connection between animals and children (chickens included) that can be so therapeutic. So glad that you and your boys are enjoying this new venture!

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Silkie hens tend to be great "broody" mothers. They will sit on eggs to hatch them and raise the chicks. That would be interesting for the boys, to see how mama does it as compared to incubator hatches. Of course you need fertile eggs / a rooster for that.

1 person likes this.
  7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Mike [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by