Thanks for the grit advice...Question *updated*...

Cetawin

Rest in Peace 1963-2021
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
Thanks everyone for the advice on the grit...when I went to the grocery store today, there was only one type of grit there...for parakeets, parrots and etc...

The directions call for 1/2 tsp per bird per week for parrots. This is the product I purchased and the girls really liked it. They ate some, scratched in it and took turns guarding it

grit.jpg

Description
Geisler
00ae.png
Calcium Grit is a special mixture of Calcium and other minerials. Calcium Grit aids in birds' digestion if fed a seed based diet. All types of hard billed birds can use Calcium Grit. Size: 20 oz.

Calcium Min 17.5% Max 21%
Phosphorous min 25%
Salt min 2.2% max 2.7%

Ingredients:

Granite Grit, Oyster Shell, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Charcoal, Mineral Oil, Orange Oil, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate.

Is this okay for them? Will this suffice for a bit or should I get something else? This 20 oz jar should last several weeks at 1/2 tsp per bird per week. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Are these chicks or laying hens?

If they are chicks, do not give anything with calcium. A lid of dirt from outside would be fine if you can't find chick grit. If they are adult hens, give them free choice calcium in a seperate dish, they will eat what they need.

They are 23 day old pullets.

Can you explain why they should not have the calcium? I will get something else for them.

Thanks silkiechicken.

Bumping this up.....

Still wanting to know why they cannot or should not have this grit/calcium? They loved it when I let them sample it.

Confusing, huh? I'd heard that folks bought parrakeet grit for chicks so I got some, too. It wasn't until got home that I saw it had calcium in it. I returned it. I had heard that you shouldn't feed calcium to chicks. (That's why you don't feed layer mash to youngsters.) Last year we used clean play sand and that was great. Don't use road sand as it has ice-melting chemicals=BAD. Our normal feed store only carries grit too large for chicks, but at Tractor Supply I did find "chick grit" crushed granite by Nutrisource.

This company makes several sizes, one for pullets. This one is definitely FOR CHICKS (it says, "provide to young birds up to 10 weeks of age".

grit.jpg

here's the kicker:
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Calcium: Min 10%
CAlcium max 12%

Salit Min 1%
Salt Max 2%
Charcoal 1.2%

The "Chicken Grit" for older pullets has the SAME calcium content. On the other hand, Oyster Shell for hens is minimum 36% calcium.

So what is up with THAT??? This is marketed for baby chicks but has calcium. Oyster Shell is listed as the first ingredient!!!!! (although it says, "crushed granite" on the front) I AM THOROUGHLY CONFUSED.
I am using it anyway.

Any thoughts, oh experienced ones?

hu.gif
I don't know guys. I got the same thing you did Seachick and have been using it. Although I don't use much grit at all with my 5. The only time I've used it was when I fed them boiled and mashed egg yolk. I also threw maybe 3 tablespoons worth over a 4' square area in the yard where their baby pen is I let them out in on sunny afternoons. I only did that once. I don't think there is a chance of me using up that bag before they are 10 weeks old. I wonder if we can continue to use it after that?

I haven't bought grit for my girls yet (they are 5-6 days old). Do they need grit? If so, when is it first introduced? Right now I sprinkle some chick food on the paper towel and they peck away. I'm pretty ignorant about raising chickens (my first time) but I didn't think the books said anything about grit at this age.

They only need grit if you providing other food sources or treats. Once they are outside they will gather their own grit from the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom