Thanks you can delete this now

Really, Redoak? Maybe you got ahold of some bloodlines that don't have the broody tendency. Mine seem to be constantly broody!

My 6 buff orpington hens came from McMurray in March of 08. What I've read on BYC a couple times is that hatcheries tend to breed the broodiness out of chickens. If this is true or not, I'm not sure, but it seems to make sense.​

Ok so I have my choices to about these:

Barred rock
Silver Laced wyandoote

What are nicer? and whats better for eggs?

And what is wrong with cackle????? I was planning on ordering from them beacuse you only have to get 15.

What othe sites are good?

~Bryan

they both lay about the same they both are hardy but i am pretty sure a wyandotte is larger.
hmm.png

I just have to give a shout out for the Black Australorps. I had no idea that mine would be my favorite chicken! They dont get much credit around here- but my Bella would melt anyone's heart in a second.

Not wanting to start any "disagreements" about any of the hatcheries.

I used Cackle because: still a family run operation, they were not sold out of what I wanted, low minimum and only 2 states away. Folks on the phone for the order and then when they shippped (I called them) were very nice and knew what they were doing. Chicks came today and the whole transaction went very well. Got the 15 I ordered + 1 packing peanut. All are doing very well.

Do a search (on this site) for all the hatcheries you are considering. You'll find good and bad on all of them.

i read into those too but they were hard for me to find in my area and i don't personally like their color(no offense).

Is ideal hatchey a good place?

Im going to order

5 araucanas for my friend

2 barred rocks

2 silver laced wyandottle

Also what is a packing male? Im going to call them in the morning and set up my order.

Anyone use ideal ?

~Bryan

Just a suggestion, but Hoffman's is in Pennsylvania and have a minimum order of 15 with a minimum 5 per breed and advertise all three breeds (EE's, B.R.'s, S.L.W.'s) that your looking for. It would be a whole lot shorter distance than from Ideal in Texas. Understand I have absolutely nothing against Ideal and have had good birds from them. But like I stated, only a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom