thanksgiving turkey

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Davey A Blevins, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Davey A Blevins

Davey A Blevins New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    chilhowie va
    Well I have 3 turkeys that im killing the weekend before thanksgiving and im just wondering what I should feed them so the meat will taste good im feeding them craked corn right now and letting them free range.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    This year will be my first to butcher turkeys too so I won't have a taste comparison. My turkeys run with my chickens and ducks and I feed the whole flock a balanced grower/finisher formula. They also have range of 10 acres and over the summer we had a grasshopper infestation and the turkeys were more than happy to help us out with it. In addition I've watched them eat a ton of grass and other greens they find growing.

Cracked corn doesn't have a lot of nutritional value and as we go into winter it is harder for them to find what they need while ranging, so you might want to finish them out on some variety of "finisher" feed that you can find at your local feed store. For example, the Purina brand is called "Flock Raiser" and Nutrena is called "All Flock". Each region and store has its own offerings so I would just look for feed labeled "grower" or "finisher" preferably with a protein content of 18% or greater.

3. Davey A Blevins

Davey A Blevins New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    chilhowie va
    ohh ok im going to change there feed the beginning of next month and feed them finisher until I kill them and im not going to feed them anything the day before I kill them. I have never raised turkeys before this is my first year and I got 3 and they are pretty good size right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by