That Means MUD!!!! To Sod, Or Not To Sod

4CiTyCHicHENs

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 20, 2010
MO
Im turning last years garden into this years chickens coop!! But, That Means MUD!! The garden will be tilled in the next few weeks so it will be cleaned up mud---but, still mud. I know chickens will annihilate grass & muddy wet poo STINKS!

Im torn. If I Sod it will cost more (I have a budget of $200, I dont know if Im delirious but I think $200 will build a 10 X 12 coop & Run---Right??) And we'll be back @ mud in to time. Is My only other option stinky poo when it rains... It cant be, can it???

47437_dsc05954.jpg

47437_dsc05957.jpg

half the run roof Id like to cover in that corregated clear plastic. the other half id like to build a criss cross structure thing people do & plant viney flowers on it.... Before all that the whole run will be covered in hardware cloth.... what viney, flower is not harful to chickens???

Please don't sod--it is a waste of money. Your area is a nice size, but the chickens will still eventually kill that grass, and your money will be wasted. If your run is covered, then it won't get too muddy, so a dirt floor wouldn't be that bad. If you really want some type of ground covering, you could get some wood chips (like the kind a tree cutting service chips up), and that wouldn't be so costly for you. Some people like to throw straw around. I personally use different things. I rake up my run on a regular basis. Sometimes I use grass clippings from the riding mower (which chickens just LOVE to eat), and in the fall I use autumn leaves. Changing it up a bit for them keeps things interesting.

Good luck to you!

I use sand in my run area. It takes about 6, 50lb bags for me to "refresh" the sand every 4 to 6 months. I clean up the run every morning, and if I see a "poop" or two during the day I may clean that up too. I use a rather large kitty litter scoop that I got at a Dollar store. It works great! The sand falls through the scoop, and I collect the droppings for my compost pile. I never have any odors from the coop or run area. And it takes only a few minutes a day to keep it clean. Of course, I only have four chickens.

We have had lots of rain the past few weeks, so I covered the run with a heavy duty clear plastic to keep the sand dry, since I just put new sand down a few weeks ago. The plastic is holding up nicely even in some pretty high winds.

Last edited:
I've read where contractor sand is great...drains well, easy to rake up poo off of and only have to change out every six months. A nice size tarp with wood shavings on top might work too. Good luck!
big_smile.png

ok... awesome! Thanks everyone for your help!!!!

I have a budget of $200, I dont know if Im delirious but I think $200 will build a 10 X 12 coop & Run---Right??

Quote:
You're probably delirious.
hmm.png
We spent about $1,200. That was using new materials though and keeping everything including the paint consistent with the rest of the outbuildings. I'm sure it can be done for much less if you're able to use recycled wood etc. How big of a run are you planning to have? The hardware cloth and posts alone will cost quite a bit for a 10x20' run.

Quote:
You're probably delirious.
hmm.png
We spent about $1,200. That was using new materials though and keeping everything including the paint consistent with the rest of the outbuildings. I'm sure it can be done for much less if you're able to use recycled wood etc. How big of a run are you planning to have? The hardware cloth and posts alone will cost quite a bit for a 10x20' run.

10 x 12
for up to 6 chickens, planning 12-18 sq ft coop & 18-24 sq ft run
i already have 2 windows i bought for $5 EACH Vinyl windows, the screen door , $10 for the run & the human coop door $10. And My husband has access to pallet wood. t

Back
Top Bottom