That Time When the Reclusive Chicken Starts Getting Close - and other photos

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lpyrbby, Aug 2, 2016.

1. lpyrbby

lpyrbby Chillin' With My Peeps

I share these photos on the book of faces, but I just don't feel I have enough people there that might really appreciate them. So, here I am to share photos and my experiences with my birds :)

We got Olive and 7 other flock mates almost a month ago. She and a few others have been pretty flighty and uninterested in interacting. She's not the most fearful, but she's one that hasn't given me the death glare, and I just really like her.

Yesterday, I took some BOSS sprouts out to the chicken yard. I didn't pass it out to everyone like I do the oatmeal or mealworms. I kept this to myself to reward the birds that would come check in with me. Olive happened to be nearby as I was treating others, so I tossed her a few. A little while later, she got brave enough to take some from my hand. And after that, she hopped up on the arm of the chair I was sitting in! And then to the back of the chair!

[​IMG]

Today, without treats, she still came back. I'm not trying to pet her since I don't want to ruin the relationship that we have a chance of building. I think we're making progress :) She was clearly unamused at me not having treats for her.
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile, I collected these beauties today. I have 10 ladies, so just 6 more girls to go!
    [​IMG]

And here's Kitty, a voraciously hungry girl always looking for kibble and willing to knock goodies right out of your hand!
    [​IMG]

This girl here is THE most standoffish, so it was actually pretty impressive that she was this close to me tonight. I don't have a name for her yet, but it'll come. I do hope she comes around. She's gorgeous and I'd love to keep her in the flock.
    [​IMG]

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    [​IMG]

Hi! I love your photos! Very pretty birds! They look like they are well on their way to being your good buddies! I love chickens! As far as I'm concerned, they are man's best friends...

3. lpyrbby

They really are such a JOY to have! I love them so much, it feels stupid lol

4. lpyrbby

My phone was being a butthead earlier, so, a couple more photos :)

Ringo is my favorite. He better not turn into a jerk. He's 23 weeks old today. Not keen on being pet, but since I only do a light touch, he just moves away instead of pecking. He watches me, but so far, nothing threatening. If our relationship stays as it is, I will be satisfied :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Nice pics!!so cool!verypretty!love them!

6. MollySunshine

MollySunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Real beauties! I know how you feel about feeling stupid about loving them so much. I have consciously stopped talking about them to others. I can almost see the dread on their faces. Unless you have them, you just don't know. This is a great place to share our chickie stories. Keep your stories coming![​IMG]

7. lpyrbby

Thank you :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by