That was a close one!

smallcitychick

Songster
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Central Washington
2 weeks ago we got 20 chicks (10 gold sex links and 10 assorted laced wyandottes pullets...well turns out one of the gsl is really a production red) to raise for my dad (they have a large space for adult chickens, and have about 10 laying hens now, but now where to keep chicks, so of course I volunteered! As payment he said we could keep1-5 of the pullets we wanted.

Well, last week, I needed to make a trip out of town and decided to stop at a Big R 'just to see what they have', on my way back home. OH MY!!!! They had polish and bantams! I'd never had either, and if I'm going to be adding to my flock, then maybe I should add a few of these darlings? Right? I pick up 3 bantams and 2 polish. Unfortunately one of the polish chicks didn't make it
sad.png
So then I thought maybe I needed to stop by my local feed store to pick up another chick (or 2 or 3) to replace that one. (I'm getting pretty good at the chicken math, right)
tongue.png

I stopped by the feed store on Friday and was SO relieved to see all they had were gsl's and cornish. Whew. I was just going CRAZY thinking that I was going to miss something really good. But I don't want meat birds, and I already have the gsl's. Part of me wants to go and check every day they get a chick shipment in, the other part of me is a little worried because I can only (legally) have 12 chickens here in town, and I already have 5 hens. If I keep all the bantams and the one polish that'll bring up to........WAIT, that'll only bring me up to 9! Maybe I should get 3 more chicks, plus the bantams and the polish were straight runs. I don't want any roosters (roosters will be sent to live with my dad)...maybe I should get 5 more just incase?

tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom