That was a surprise

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tarragon, Jul 24, 2011.

1. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    I've been expecting Johnny to be the first to lay an egg, which she just did, but there were two things I wasn't expecting.

One, she went right up the ramp and dug around in the nesting box, which they've completely ignored until now, and settled in until she had done it. I didn't do the golf balls or ceramic eggs or anything. How do they know this stuff?

Two, Ginny followed her inside and stayed by her side chirping softly to her the whole time, as if to comfort her. Ginny always watches out for Johnny, since Johnny gets very upset if she loses sight of the others or gets left behind, or is the last up the ramp. But really, a midwife?

2. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Incredible! How sweet. How wonderful that you were there to witness the event! [​IMG]

I got my first egg today, but I was gone all day and don't have a clue which one of six laid it.

3. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I can't comment on the know where to lay an egg but I think they are just hardwired. When I first got chickens last year and the girls neared 16 weeks or so they all began taking daily trips to the nest boxes and sit and dig around in them. And yes they did accompany each other to the box. Some would sing together and others would just stand there and watch-like a midwife-as you say. I marvel at these creatures. We had a roo last year that was first of all so huge he could stand on the ground and look in our elevated coop, but he would peek in and encourage from the outside. While he was still a baby he went into the boxes when the girls did. I think he felt a need to be outside and watch the majority and stay on the sidelines for the girls in the coop.
    I have some baby girls that just started laying this week and they have been hilarious to watch. In the box, out of the box, two in the box, singing their heads off. What a racket. Now that some have laid it is much quieter thank goodness.
    Got to love them.

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Haaaaa, how cool is that! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by