That was THE worst ending ever!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lothiriel, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    My sister and I just finished watching the new Jane Eyre. We have seen most of the film versions, after of course reading the book. Some are good, one's the best, some are awful. This one's halfway in the latter category.

First. Mr. Rochester. He is the epiphany of the man with a deeply wounded soul. Charlotte Brontë wrote his character as an older man, somewhere in his upper 30s or so, while Jane was 19. He is not attractive. In fact, he asks Jane, "Do you think me handsome?" and she very bluntly replies, "No." He is often very sullen and not the most enjoyable person to talk to. This version has him in his upper 20s, rather good looking, and just quite the opposite of the book character. Not that I have a huge problem necessarily... It's just the fact that the producer/director/whoever made his character did not follow the book in that place as well as they did in others. (I do like the way he looks at Jane though... Reminds me of real life... [​IMG])

Second. Jane herself. Mia Wasikowska as Jane did not show near enough emotion as I would expect from a young woman in her situation. And personally I think she should have had dark hair, not red. I mean, it looks nice, but my own vision of Jane Eyre has her with dark hair.

And they could have/should have included more details! In SO many places they left me wanting more information -- like who was Mr. Mason? (I know who he is, because I read the book. But someone who hasn't read the book -- just watching the movie -- would not know at all.) Or they left out a biggie scene in the book -- like the gypsy. I was astounded that they left that part out!

And now my biggest issue. THE ENDING!!! It was horrible!! I almost had a temper tantrum I was so mad at the way they mutilated it! I was horrified, shocked, incredibly let down.... What can I say?? It was an epic fail. That's the best (worst?) phrase I can come up with. It was that bad. It was so empty, so emotionless, so boring. It was the worst ending they could ever have come up with. Period.

Now I need to rewatch the best Jane Eyre .. The one with Charlotte Gainsbourg and William Hurt. They did not ruin my favorite romance.

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Is it a chick flick ?? or a real movie I still don't know ??.

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    It's a real movie. My cousins kept telling us how good it was and that we really should watch it. I guess they haven't read the book or seen a GOOD film rendition.

4. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I hate it when I see a movie about a book that I've read dozens of times, but then the movie is dumb, doens't follow the story line, bad actors, points made poorly, just so cheesy in general. Humph.

5. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    That is the reason God put off buttons on televisions.

Rufus

6. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Movies are never as good as the book...even when they do follow the story correctly.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by