That wasn't an egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sharondoright, Apr 22, 2019.

1. sharondoright

sharondoright Chirping

Apr 20, 2019
    Can we eat the regular eggs, if one has laid a lash egg

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just wait and see if you get , another one....definitely look for a bird that is not feeling well, keep an eye out, would be good to know which bird it is.

I doubt that bird is laying normal eggs, not sure if it's a risk or not.
    @casportpony @Wyorp Rock any idea if presence of lash egg makes other eggs risky to eat?

sharondoright and Wyorp Rock like this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If you find another one please get some photos, you won't gross us (me) out:)
    It does sound like possibly Lash Egg or could it have been a curled up membrane from a soft shell/shell less egg like in the photo below?

As for if you can eat regular hard shelled eggs - I would think so as long as they are thoroughly cooked. I have my doubts that if a hen has Salpingitis that she would be laying normal eggs anyway.

upload_2019-4-23_10-49-37.png
    Reference

sharondoright likes this.
  4. sharondoright

sharondoright Chirping

Apr 20, 2019
    Thanks. No this pic isn’t not like my find.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  5. sharondoright

sharondoright Chirping

Apr 20, 2019
    75635EF1-55E6-4C75-961E-9350FD566C89.png EFF4B059-5548-4173-9FBC-EA6129BFDD89.png Here are a couple pictures from web... very similar to my find.

DobieLover, aart and Wyorp Rock like this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I was hoping it was :(

I would keep an eye out for a hen that seems to be a little off. Sometimes a hen can expel quite a few lash eggs without showing any outward "symptoms". Seems to be when they are getting into trouble, they are having a hard time expelling the lash egg or the material has also started to accumulate in the abdomen.
    If you find another lash egg and know which hen it is, you can try treating her with an antibiotic to help fight infection. While it's not a cure, it could prolong her life if she is a pet.

DobieLover, sharondoright and aart like this.
  7. sharondoright

sharondoright Chirping

Apr 20, 2019
    They aren’t pets, but they aren’t non-pets either. Reading up on this, doesn’t sound good. Will probably devote a day to watching who lays what. Maybe paint a toe or something as they exit the nest. They are not handled so should be exciting. Lol

DobieLover and Wyorp Rock like this.
  8. sharondoright

sharondoright Chirping

Apr 20, 2019
    Update... I am holding them in their (huge) enclosure until I verify all are ok. Yesterday, had 2 eggs with no shell, and one wrinkly guy like your picture. Mr. rooster pants has 11 girls, and is great guardian, but they are pretty beat up.. might isolate him in 2nd area for a few days... give the girls a break. Plus I need to gentle him down and trim his feet.

9. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    If your boy is a jerk like mine, you might want to take him off the roost at night to do his feet. Just wear a head lamp. They are pretty darn docile in dim light.

aart and sharondoright like this.
  10. sharondoright

sharondoright Chirping

Apr 20, 2019
    Great idea! He is a jerk, and gets loses his battle with me a couple of time soon a month, then leaves me alone for a couple of weeks. Thinking to split him up to give girls a break, as most of these egg issues say could be from stress. Just have to see if he is separated, will he Ben worse to the hens when back together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: