That wasn't an egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sharondoright, Apr 22, 2019.

1. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    He'll be anxious to get at them for sure. You might want to find a gentler man for your ladies.
    My boy is a jerk to me only. Things started to really go downhill fast when I started building the new coop in his territory. Otherwise, he is good to the girls. Two are a bit overbred so I had him off the roost two nights ago to file his nails. I'll have to go back with a guillotine style cat nail clipper and the file again because his two center nails were pretty long. I blunted the tips but they need to be shortened too.

2. sharondoright

sharondoright Chirping

Apr 20, 2019
    HAVe you tried the hot potato method on his big claw?

3. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    That method is for spur sheathing removal to shorten the overall length of the spur. My guy I call a rooster but he doesn't actually become an official rooster until Monday. His spurs are quite short. They aren't doing the damage to the girls.
    BTW, that outer spur sheathing will twist off without the hot potato. I would think that putting that hot potato on the spur first would hurt more as the heat would transfer to the quick. When his time comes, I will just twist off the sheathing and coat the quick with a little Vetericyn and be done with the demon boy.

sharondoright likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: