1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thats NOT a chicken in our barn!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rainstorm, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    A few friends who have been sticking around for a few years now decided to make a nest in our barn and look what must have fallen out and was hiding on the floor under some stuff!

[​IMG]

Sadly though we found him dead the next day [​IMG] Ever since then the two others have been sticking around the tree's near my pen calling out everyday, all day.

2. NanaJune

NanaJune Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    Justin, Texas
    Awww. That's so sad. He is beautiful!

3. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    That's so sad. There's nothing like the benefit of "organic" rodent control living IN the barn! I hope it's family can recover from their loss and move back in soon. Wonder why it died?

4. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I love owls, what a beauty, too bad it died. Just last night at dusk I heard 'my' resident barred owls whooping it up in the woods near the house. They too are rodent eaters and pose no threat to my poultry. They sure are loud when the want to be. Their raucious calling reminds me of hyenas.

5. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Oh wow, you're so lucky to have had that in your barn! It is sooo beautiful and yeah, definitely great organic rodent control. I'm so sorry he died on you, hopefully the others will stick around. Beautiful!

6. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    What kind of owl is it? How large is it? I thought owls would kill chickens.

7. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:That is a barn owl

8. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Average life span of barn owl in the wild is two years; record 8 in captivity - per the web search I just did.

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] I hate it that he died.. I love owls, they're like cats of the bird world. Was he a baby?

10. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Beautiful owl. I would love to have owls here, and more bats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by