Thats some mean chicken!

erik520

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
mount airy
I got a wild hen. She just love to bite me in the hand when it comes to getting in the cage with her. If she was not the last layer I have she would be dinner. is there any way to modify her behavior?

erik520

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
mount airy
Ya, i'm not so much worried about my hands,the hard as leather anyways just thinking about the kids. And do you think i need to not use a lawn mower around them?

RavenStorm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Southern CA
Sounds like my hen that I posted about a while ago. Do you have only hens in your flock, no roosters? I ask because often in a group of chickens without a rooster, on of the females becomes the alpha and takes the place of the rooster as "the boss". If this is the case, then she see you as a challenge to her dominance, and she is trying to get you to submit to her. I was able to break my hen of this behavior by using BYC member Rooster-Red's advice for aggressive roosters. Here is the page, try out those tricks:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2588-Roo_behavior

erik520

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
mount airy
She's a RIR and the only one left. The male died a week or so ago and i"m trying to build up again. i started with 5. two got killed by the nabor dog who dugg under the pen. " electric fence took care of that problem". one female I gave to the nabors kids, the male and female were about 17 weeks old at that time" in December". now he dies becouse I let them run the yard and he got over the fence and in the dogs yard again. so she's a loner, I hope that the eggs she layed can be hatched. she's always been mean, so was the male.

RIR from mcmurry farms are mean. I don't recommend them. I'll use my local source this year.

Last edited:

cwc362

Songster
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
Huntingdon- West Tn
Quote:I always heard the Buff orps are nice tempered chickens. But I've never had one . I've got cochins but they are not the greatest layers. I've had some RIR roosters a long time ago that were pretty mean and a couple of leghorn roos that were really mean. You might try craigslist or even on here - Maybe somebody nearby would be willing to part with a roo and some young pullets or hens. Good luck!!

Oh back to your original question- A nice young rooster might keep her too busy to be mean-

Last edited:

Top Bottom