That's when I knew.... *NEW AUGUST PICS!*

Highlander

Tartan Terror
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Prague
I got the opportunity at the weekend to "rescue" some chickens from an egg factory that were due to be slaughtered. Hubby and I had to quickly build a coop for them on Sat/Sun morning and on Sunday afternoon DH went to get them while I was at work. I instructed him to take as many as he could fit in the car. He got 44.

I peeked in when I got back from work last night but couldn't really see much as it was dark. When I went out to see them this morning I was stunned. They were in terrible condition. I could have cried. I knew they were going to need a lot of extra TLC and attention. They were extremely skittish and actually screamed when I turned a light on. I wondered to myself if I had bitten off more than I could chew going from 9 chickens to 53 overnight, had I done the right thing?

Well, I went to put them to bed a couple of hours ago. I threw some scratch down for them but it took them a while to figure out what it was and what they should do with it. I sat down on the floor of the coop and watched them as they figured it out. Then, very slowly, one started towards me. She came right up to my foot and pecked it gently then looked at me. Then she came round to my other side and pecked at my other foot. Looked at me again. Then she proceeded to climb onto my foot, lean against my leg and fall asleep. I sat there with tears rolling down my face, scared to move in case I frightened her away. After a few minutes she opened her eyes again and stayed on my foot while she let me scratch under her chin, all the while keeping eye contact with me. I'm sure she was saying "thank you".

That's when I knew.... I'd done the right thing.

Last edited:
hit.gif
poor chickies

my grandma had rescuee hens once.Prepare yourself for weeks of picking up eggs everywhere. They dont know how to use a nest and will just drop eggs where they stand. But they will come around it too them about 4- weeks to figure out what a nest and roosts are for. A few though never roosted

Quote:
Yeah, they haven't been near the roosts, they just all huddle together in a group in a corner. I was prepared for that. I don't think I'll see any eggs for a while from them.

It is really sad the condition some of those chickens are in when rescued. Their beaks look weird, they haven't had enough space to move around in and only ate one thing their entire 18 months on the planet. Sad.

Your kindness has been exposed...it's ok, I won't tell Opa.
tongue.png

But in all seriousness... you big smushy lug.

hugs,
g

Back
Top Bottom