1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The 1st snow!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rcentner, Nov 6, 2009.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    So this morning, to my surprise, snow was on the ground. Not much, but it was funny to watch my young chickens experience it for the 1st time. Pickles tried eating it and a couple of them wouldn't touch it! To my surprise one of them doesn't care! It took me a minute to figure out why they were so amazed by the snow...oh yea...they weren't here last winter! I just had to share..wish I got some video of it!

2. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    [​IMG] Im glad we havent seen the snow yet
    but it sure is nippy.
    have the heat lamps on and all are safe and snug,

3. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Awww, funny. Ours havent seen snow either...

4. mayden

mayden Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Tioga, PA
    We had snow a couple of weeks ago here. About 8+ inches. It didn't accumulate that much because the ground wasn't cold enough. The chicks seemed to like it. I have netting over the run and the snow collected on it until the netting simply tore loose and caved in.

They all seem to be handling the cold weather pretty well. I just started getting eggs this week. This morning the temp dropped to 27 with wind chill at 22. Despite the cold I still found one egg around 7am, which is earlier than the other days. Just wanted to say my coop is not insulated and they seem to be coping just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by