The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok silly question for Sally Sunshine, or anyone else! When you are using a separate hatcher can we use a LG still air incubator and if so do we need to open it once a day during lockdown for air exchange or do you keep it completely closed and just put more air vents in the top? My son wants to try having a separate hatcher and I have not made the decision yet on which type of incubator we are going to upgrade too. I'm thinking Brinsea but I just looked at another that I am debating so for now we are using our hovorbator and thinking about the old LG for hatching this round! We want to have our new set up for the Easter hatch but want to practice now just in case!! Our eggs go in lockdown tomorrow night and I have the LG ready just need to know if we leave it shut or need to open for airflow?? I know silly question but this could actually explain a lot about our past hatches lol!!!
You can use that as a hatcher, and no you don't need extra air holes the ones on the bottom and top are fine.

Hay Sally
graphics-chickens-407677.gif
LOL ok M, hook me up with all these sweet emoticons!!! LOL

Quote: x2 I dont have a still air, but def keep all the vents open. I am actually unplugging my fan for hatching this time in the coolerbator, I do worry about keeping humidity up in a still air one though, but only time will tell for us how much that fan helps or doesnt help with humidity, I will let you know about that one. My styro bator I use to hatch in has tiny holes in the bottom, top and then those two large red vent plug holes, I am ALWAYS KEEP all vents open for the entire hatch! Ventilation is just as important to the embryo as the chick as its hatching. I honestly love our coolerbator! love love it!

Ok silly question for Sally Sunshine, or anyone else! When you are using a separate hatcher can we use a LG still air incubator and if so do we need to open it once a day during lockdown for air exchange or do you keep it completely closed and just put more air vents in the top? My son wants to try having a separate hatcher and I have not made the decision yet on which type of incubator we are going to upgrade too. I'm thinking Brinsea but I just looked at another that I am debating so for now we are using our hovorbator and thinking about the old LG for hatching this round! We want to have our new set up for the Easter hatch but want to practice now just in case!! Our eggs go in lockdown tomorrow night and I have the LG ready just need to know if we leave it shut or need to open for airflow?? I know silly question but this could actually explain a lot about our past hatches lol!!!

I would add more holes for ventilation/Air exchange if needed, During lockdown humidity is the key for successful hatching.

Last edited:
Quote: I don't understand the add more holes thing. They are designed for both incubation and hatching. If one has as many problems with stability with the LG's it makes no sense to alter the design, to let out more of the temp and humidity. I would leave as is. Just my thoughts, but then again I don't have one, thinking of getting one just for #$*^% and giggles to see how bad they are or aren't. It will be my own experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom