The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time hatcher here! One a chick has cracked the eggshell of one egg in the incubator (not a hole all the way through that it could breath through, just cracked) and began to peep last night. It peeped several times. This morning, 7 hours later, no peeping and no progress. Is this normal? I keep saying to myself, don't open the box...give him 12 hours. Should I see consistent progress in the hatch or is it normal for them to sit there with a sort of cracked shell and nothing for 24 hours? I posted a picture of the egg last night...it's an Americana. Any advice from the seasoned hatchers would be greatly appreciated! I'm Sitting on my hands right now!
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/28359817_rjzpm9#!i=2431000902&k=zzG6mJm
Here it is again.
Yes, it's normal. You try getting out of an egg only using 1 tooth.
lol.png

There is a lot of condensation on the window of the incubator but the humidity is only at 60%. I haven't had any pips, chirps, or rolling.
Did you calibrate your hygrometer? It could be off.

Still waiting on my little duckling that pipped yesterday morning to make it's appearance. I had 2 chicks hatch over night though.
big_smile.png

woot.gif

My hatch is completed....I have ...23 live chicks..EE'S

I started with 42 , locked down 40....3 were full term but,

I didn't notice they were in trouble, hate that...
hu.gif

I've cleaned bator and am setting up to set goose eggs..

Are there any members starting geese..???

I HEARD A PEEP!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!
wee.gif
I was just checking the eggs again, and talking and chirping to them, when I heard a VERY faint little "peep peep" and I stopped and listened and I heard it again!!! Not sure which one it is yet, since it didn't peep again after that, but I definitely have an internal pipper at last!!!!
woot.gif

Good Luck everyone! Remember to be patient. I'll be offline probably until this evening. I expect to have lots of posts to catch up on. I have 3 poults out, and 5 or 6 more pips.

Lost our 1st egg on Wednesday morning when I was getting ready to put everyone into lockdown. One of the Japanese bantams had already pipped, but because the turner was still on it rolled it upside down and it drowned (pipped in the middle). We were gone that evening until last night (son touring colleges) and came home to 4 Japanese bantams hatched and 1 Icelandic hatched. This morning we are up to 9 Japanese bantams hatched, 5 Icelandics, 2 Spitzhauben crosses, 1 GLP with many other pips. Set on March 9, but the Japanese bantams and Icelandics and Polish like to hatch a little early.

I hate this part of worrying about getting some of them out of there and hoping the eggs are okay from all the knocking about that they are getting.

The Japanese bantams are for my DD to show for 4h, so she is in charge of getting that brooder together.

Good Morning All!

"Slept" in the living room a few feet away from the incubator - got up several times to check on the eggs/chicks. Watched and videoed the 2nd chick hatching at midnight!

I now have 3 chicks and 7 pips! Two EEs and one Dominuque. I think "Michael Jessie" (Blue Andalusian/EE mix) is the dad to two of the chicks, because there's evidence of the "blue" gene.
The Dom mix is a beautiful silvery gray - can't wait to see how that feathers out with the barring gene in there too.
The 2nd EE (came from a green egg) is all yellow - no stripes and has a small rose comb
hmm.png
- that's strange because the only roo with a rose comb is the GLW, and he wasn't with any of the EEs during the week I collected eggs to hatch.
The three chicks are quite vigorous - they're hopping over the sides of the containers the eggs are separated in! At one point, they all hopped were snuggled together, side by side, resting their heads on the unhatched eggs.

I, too, I'm not sure if the humidity is too high. It's staying around 70% + but the window doesn't have any condensation. The first chick's back is still a little wet/sticky. (hatched 2/28 @ 7pm EST) Is that an indication that it's too humid in there? I thought it was supposed to be around 55%-65%.

Congrats to all the others who have pips and chicks! It's going to be a fun day! I'm so glad I took the day off.

I thought it was supposed to 65-70% humidity during lockdown, finally got it down to 72% this morning--Whew!

Oh my goodness!!

My son (he's 14) is sitting here looking at the new chicks (so far all 4 of my easter egger/brahma cross chicks have hatched, and 3 of the 4 barred rock/brahma cross chicks. waiting on 1 more!). Anyways, he's sitting here looking at the chicks and says... well "Easter Egger Brahma Cross" and "Barred Rock Brahma Cross" are just too long of names! We need to combind their name.

Then he says... "Oh! These ones are "Barrock Obrahma's"!"

LOL!!!
lau.gif

Oh my goodness!!

My son (he's 14) is sitting here looking at the new chicks (so far all 4 of my easter egger/brahma cross chicks have hatched, and 3 of the 4 barred rock/brahma cross chicks. waiting on 1 more!).  Anyways, he's sitting here looking at the chicks and says... well "Easter Egger Brahma Cross" and "Barred Rock Brahma Cross" are just too long of names!  We need to combind their name.

Then he says... "Oh! These ones are "Barrock Obrahma's"!" 

LOL!!! :lau  

:yuckyuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom