The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this picture was cute for comparison. This Pekin duckling is my Call ducklings only buddy right now. The size difference is ridiculous, and the picture doesn't do it justice, lol. Hatched the same day, the day before Easter.

How long Should it take for it to hatch? Its already been an hour and its still chirping... still rocking its egg... but no difference. Still a tiny hole.

After it externally pips it can still take up to 24+hrs to fully hatch. Being a wrong end pipper it may likely take longer to hatch but not always.

Curious on how many you have. I haven't had any runner ducks, but the different breeds I have had, if one or two escaped from their pen, they would circle the outside trying to get back in with their buddies.

right now I just have a breeding pair of runner ducks... well plus the one that had last night and possibly one more. I originally just started out with one male and then got his girlfriend later. I have had other breeds (pekins etc) this is my first run with a runner duck.... which was actually gifted to me as a surprise birthday present. he was raised with chickens and every opportunity that he gets to get out he immediately runs over to the chickens. I got tired of doing 100 yard dash chasing him... so now my Jack russell does itfor me :)

How long Should it take for it to hatch? Its already been an hour and its still chirping... still rocking its egg... but no difference. Still a tiny hole.

Be Patient. It is way too early to do anything.
After it externally pips it can still take up to 24+hrs to fully hatch. Being a wrong end pipper it may likely take longer to hatch but not always.
Yes, the chick needs to work on getting out. It needs time to absorb the yolk.

Strong ones will break out of the wrong end. If the eggs is rounder than normal, then it will be easier for the chick to get out.

So when yours get lose, it's all of them, there isn't a larger group for them to get back too. Maybe that makes a difference.

I am almost positive it probably does.... My other ducks were all like yours... would circle to get back in... well... except daffnie... she was my campfire duck. she would follow me everywhere and not leave my side unless I locked her up and left quickly. she would stay up till 4am with me by a campfire instead of going to bed at dark like the other ducks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom