The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Set a duck egg last week(yes just one) (Cayuga hens with welsh harlequin roo)

Had a two broody silkies so... Between them I have 6 project Amerucana eggs and a frizzle Cochin covered by a silkie roo) so that's 8 eggs for me

(Got one silkie with babies who may or maynot decided to go broody so I gave her 4 frizzle eggs... Who knows if she'll actually set ... I'm not counting them in the hatch a long cause I don't know she's actually going to set on them.)

Do I need pictures cause the girls will not be happy?

Ok. They're all set.
34 Welsummer
21 Speckled Sussex

No I have not checked it but it's one I see in lots of pics on here. Acurite I think from Walmart.

It would be a good idea to check it if going up in humidity. The accuracy is worse the higher they go so 10% off at 25% humidity can be 30% off at 50% humidity.

(I hope that makes sense--I have been working on the digest and am getting a bit fuzzy--nee more coffee...)

Last edited:
I would hope that purposefully damaging a box because it has a fragile sticker is really not common, but you're right, I have heard others say that before. I would think neglect is more often the culprit, but how sad if there are really people out there who would do that! Still, I would think that if you were trying to make a claim, having a dented and smashed box with a sticker would be a stronger case than if there wasn't a sticker. I mean, if the original shipper took that precaution I imagine that it could be agreed unacceptable for a box to be delivered looking like it was drop kicked! I don't know, maybe I'm just naive. I have never purchased or shipped eggs before so I don't have any experience in the shipping process, but my uncle worked for the post office for years and years before he retired and he always told us to put a handle with care or fragile sticker on because that gives you more of a leg to stand on if something does happen. Lets hope these eggs come out just fine!

There is a group out there that be cannot be named(BYC rules) that knows what is inside a box that says live embryos--I would not put it past a worker that was leaning that way to do damage on purpose to a box of chicken embryos.

Fragile would be ok since it could be china but still there may be some that would have that box too.

Last edited:
It would be a good idea to check it if going up in humidity. The accuracy is worse the higher they go so 10% off at 25% humidity can be 30% off at 50% humidity.

(I hope that makes sense--I have been working on the digest and am getting a bit fuzzy--nee more coffee...)

Ah... I use a different hygrometer in my hatcher. I know it's off... But just wondering if during the first 18 days if the lower humidity is ok for duck eggs. I guess I need more hygrometers.
How do you check one anyway?

Quote: I will update pictures every week so you all can see them grow and change. Two of the kittens have white on their bellies and some on their feet/legs. The one is a dark gray with only a small patch of white on chest and between back legs. The one kitten has kind of a white frosting over its back. I know there is a long haired tom running around. I think he got to her before I knew she was in heat..
hmm.png
I will post some more pics of the kittens later.
smile.png
BTW, mom is doing great!
smile.png

I have been bottle feeding kittens for the past few weeks.. (well.. going on 2 weeks now)
mom cat gave birth in the evening.. then disappeared the next morning (she was a feral stray that "adopted" us).. haven't seen her since.. but she left these guys behind (5 total)
I started feeding them when they were barely 24 hours old...

pics taken today:
Snowball

Moose

Piglet

Jet

and Jack

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom