The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally off topic, but wanted to share. I have a 3 year old that is completely obsessed with the Statue of Liberty. I have no idea where he even came across knowing about the Statue, but he is determined to go there. I had a 3 hour running commentary pumping me for information on the Statue last light, I think he's trying to figure out if he can get there on his own. "The Statue of Liberty is in You Nordic City, it's far far away. How we get to You Nordic City?" We'd have to drive for days, buddy, or ride a plane. "Planes are at the airport. How we get to the airport? We drive there "But, where is the airport?" It's in Milwaukee. "But, how we get to Mwaukee?" We drive that way. *point east* "We must get out coats on and drive to Mwaukee so we can fly to You Nordic City and go up the circle stairs hiiiiiiiggghhhhh up his arm to the gold thing."

He's got his sights set. No stopping him. This has been going on for at least 6 months. LOL

Here is a painting from last fall, right after he turned 3. Not a bad likeness, I say.

Last night he painted it again, since I told him we couldn't go to "You Nordic City" now, but in the future we'll get him there.
Not bad for a 3 year old. I showed him how to blend dark blue with white to get varying shades of blue, so he had fun with that.
The red spots at the bottom are people (there were lots of red t-shirts on people in the picture he was looking at)
and the black areas are windows and doors so he can go inside and climb up into the statue.

He's my little painter. So darn cute.

Awesome talent there. Your boy has a future in Art. There have been several good coffee table books done on Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. I bet he would enjoy looking at the historical photos and painting them.

I pulled out two eggs late last night that were bumping the motor in my incubator. I stuck them in the fridge and wrote "don't eat." This morning I find this from my husband who is still squeamish about eating ANY of our backyard eggs...

I decided to candle the two eggs, just to see how it works. My pics are pretty, but you can't tell anything after a day, can you? The yolk seemed to float around in that green egg.
That is a nice candling picture!

the egg is a bit porous but I have hatched egg like that with no problem.

The yolk looks normal--from a healthy well fed flock!

Last edited:
Totally off topic, but wanted to share. I have a 3 year old that is completely obsessed with the Statue of Liberty. I have no idea where he even came across knowing about the Statue, but he is determined to go there. I had a 3 hour running commentary pumping me for information on the Statue last light, I think he's trying to figure out if he can get there on his own. "The Statue of Liberty is in You Nordic City, it's far far away. How we get to You Nordic City?" We'd have to drive for days, buddy, or ride a plane. "Planes are at the airport. How we get to the airport? We drive there "But, where is the airport?" It's in Milwaukee. "But, how we get to Mwaukee?" We drive that way. *point east* "We must get out coats on and drive to Mwaukee so we can fly to You Nordic City and go up the circle stairs hiiiiiiiggghhhhh up his arm to the gold thing."

He's got his sights set. No stopping him. This has been going on for at least 6 months. LOL

Here is a painting from last fall, right after he turned 3. Not a bad likeness, I say.

Last night he painted it again, since I told him we couldn't go to "You Nordic City" now, but in the future we'll get him there.
Not bad for a 3 year old. I showed him how to blend dark blue with white to get varying shades of blue, so he had fun with that.
The red spots at the bottom are people (there were lots of red t-shirts on people in the picture he was looking at)
and the black areas are windows and doors so he can go inside and climb up into the statue.

He's my little painter. So darn cute.

What a wonderful little man you have!!!

so I got my brinsea spot check yesterday and either I am doing something wrong or it is broken. I put the probe in the incubator for over an hour and it still reads "L" and no temperature is displayed. I even replaced the battery and it is the same.
AND I got a glass thermometer from them and popped it in all of my incubators for a couple hours, the Rcom20 right on the money, the oddly named "JN-48" is right where it should be and my brand new Rcom 50 is reading at 102f!! I lowered it to 36.0 c and the glass thermometer is reading just a hair under 100f but why would a fancy shmancny preset digital incubator be off like that. I spent the extra cash to NOT have to worry about temps ! oh well.
L on the spot check means it's either too low, or too high. Take your temperature with it and see what it says.

Can I still join? I set some eggs on the 28. They are guinea eggs, so i know I set them a little late for them to hatch on Easter.
Welcome!
Welcome!

That's my sons age. He's obsessed with elephants so I understand. How about a snow globe or small toy of the statue? Can set up or even make a small play dough model to help tide him over? Even a YouTube documentary? Or is that how this started?

Well, we also have the Darth Maul obsession going on. This week, he also wants to be shaved bald like Mace Windu. He tries to run up to every bald man he sees, and exclaims with hero worship. "You're bald!" (Like it's the biggest honor he could bestow upon them.)

Awesome talent there. Your boy has a future in Art. There have been several good coffee table books done on Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. I bet he would enjoy looking at the historical photos and painting them.

I've googled countless photos for him and he's taken virtual tours of the statue on YouTube. We'll get him there in the future, but more likely when he's old enough to remember it. Will be fun.
I've been to Ellis Island once, but was there too late in the day to get to go up into the Statue. Will enjoy going back some day.

[COLOR=008080]Totally off topic, but wanted to share. I have a 3 year old that is completely obsessed with the Statue of Liberty. I have no idea where he even came across knowing about the Statue, but he is determined to go there. I had a 3 hour running commentary pumping me for information on the Statue last light, I think he's trying to figure out if he can get there on his own. "The Statue of Liberty is in You Nordic City, it's far far away. How we get to You Nordic City?" We'd have to drive for days, buddy, or ride a plane. "Planes are at the airport. How we get to the airport? We drive there "But, where is the airport?" It's in Milwaukee. "But, how we get to Mwaukee?" We drive that way. *point east* "We must get out coats on and drive to Mwaukee so we can fly to You Nordic City and go up the circle stairs hiiiiiiiggghhhhh up his arm to the gold thing."[/COLOR] [COLOR=008080]He's got his sights set. No stopping him. This has been going on for at least 6 months. LOL[/COLOR] [COLOR=008080]Here is a painting from last fall, right after he turned 3. Not a bad likeness, I say.[/COLOR] [COLOR=B42000][COLOR=008080] [/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=008080]Last night he painted it again, since I told him we couldn't go to "You Nordic City" now, but in the future we'll get him there.[/COLOR] [COLOR=008080]Not bad for a 3 year old. I showed him how to blend dark blue with white to get varying shades of blue, so he had fun with that.[/COLOR] [COLOR=008080]The red spots at the bottom are people (there were lots of red t-shirts on people in the picture he was looking at)[/COLOR] [COLOR=008080]and the black areas are windows and doors so he can go inside and climb up into the statue.[/COLOR] He's my little painter. So darn cute.
When my son was about that age he wanted to go to the "Entire" state building. He's 15 now and still asks every year during the summer vacation. I'm thinking of taking him for his 16th birthday!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...on-contest-5th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long

Wake up Snoozers!!
Lets get some more laughs!!

Contest #9

Photo Caption Contest!

5th Annual 2014 Easter Hatch-a-long!

Do you think you are funny? Want some Bragging Rights?
Your creativity, wit and humor could win you bragging rights AND some AWESOME Prizes!
Enter the BYC Photo Caption Contest and your entries will be judged on the basis of wit, creativity, humor and originality! Our BYC Judges will choose 10 finalists, and then YOU vote for your favorites!

4 “short and comical” entries per contestant

spointing_left_100-102.gif

1st Prize
A dozen Mystery eggs (all purebred)
Courtesy of msladyhawke

Mysterybox-challenge-logo.jpg

2nd Prize
Fresh Eggs Distressed Retro Vintage Tin Sign
16" x 8 1/2" tin metal sign

Courtesy of Cayuse Ranch

3rd Prize
Broody Hens Muffy & Fluffy the Silkie and Showgirl Chickens Patterns