The 6-week olds not eating BOSS...

ChestnutRidge

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Western Virginia
I thought I'd give my 6-week old chicks a real treat and bought them black oil sunflower seeds. I had read on here that BOSS is a commonly given treat, but my chicks just stare at the seeds, pick at them a bit, and leave them. Is it possible that they just can't get through the shell yet?

When are chickens ready for this treat? Any experience?
If they aren't going to eat them, I am going to have to find something to do with this 40-lb bag of sunflower seeds!
tongue.png

Try again when they are a bit older. My 2 year old chickens practically run me down for them when I go to the seed barrel. Keep trying, eventually they should take to them.

It takes babies a while to eat different foods. It is instictual to stick to the foods they know won't kill them. Keep introducing new foods to them and eventually they will eat darn near everything! Including BOSS.
smile.png

my chicks couldn't get BOSS open either and they wouldn't eat them whole. I started boiling them to soften the shells then after they cooled down I would give them the seeds. I even had to break the shells open for them so the would figure out there was something yummy inside. lol

They are super healthy!! I just got 8 new chicks yesterday that are supposed to be the same age and mine look weeks ahead of them. Of course mine have gotten to free range quite a bit over the past few weeks. Love y chickens

Back
Top Bottom