The 6-week olds not eating BOSS...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChestnutRidge, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    I thought I'd give my 6-week old chicks a real treat and bought them black oil sunflower seeds. I had read on here that BOSS is a commonly given treat, but my chicks just stare at the seeds, pick at them a bit, and leave them. Is it possible that they just can't get through the shell yet?

When are chickens ready for this treat? Any experience?
    If they aren't going to eat them, I am going to have to find something to do with this 40-lb bag of sunflower seeds! [​IMG]

2. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Try again when they are a bit older. My 2 year old chickens practically run me down for them when I go to the seed barrel. Keep trying, eventually they should take to them.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It takes babies a while to eat different foods. It is instictual to stick to the foods they know won't kill them. Keep introducing new foods to them and eventually they will eat darn near everything! Including BOSS. [​IMG]

4. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Glad to hear it! Any idea how old they'll need to be?

5. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    I just started giving my 5 week olds fresh strawberries...they chase each other down!

6. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    my chicks couldn't get BOSS open either and they wouldn't eat them whole. I started boiling them to soften the shells then after they cooled down I would give them the seeds. I even had to break the shells open for them so the would figure out there was something yummy inside. lol

7. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Ha! That's the way my brood is going. I will try cooking them. Thanks for the idea!

8. florafarmer

florafarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    My 8 week old chicks just gobble them down whole! Is that a bad thing?

9. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    I don't know, but if they seem healty and they're still pooping, I would guess it's alright? [​IMG]

10. florafarmer

florafarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    They are super healthy!! I just got 8 new chicks yesterday that are supposed to be the same age and mine look weeks ahead of them. Of course mine have gotten to free range quite a bit over the past few weeks. Love y chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by