The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did an eggtopsy on the two blue eggs and found that they must've died right before date 18 because the got was not drawn in the other one had this weird fleshy mass on his head so note to self I'm not going to incubate any more eggs on that side of the incubator or incubate those eggs because I think the other serama egg that was near the same place did not develop. Now my incubator is making a weird rattling noise
The fleshy mass looks like his brain or something...i think that was rhe bird that internally pipped...im somewhat happy ot didnt hatch. The other chick seemed fine, but it still hadnt drawn its gut in. Id add pics, but im not on my phone and dont want to disturb any of you :)

OH THE OTHER NOTE...i have a pip in one of my seramas! Im afraid the other died...

Mine were officially late, but better late than never. (I was so worried especially b/c I couldn't think of what I did wrong.) My best guess is that because these eggs were started under a broody when the temps were about 5-20'F, the development was delayed. They were moved to an incubator around the 5th day, so the broody could hatch eggs for my daughter's project. One of the eggs was clear & tossed.

Anyway, here's my Hatach A Long Results:
7 eggs set March 14 (by the broody. I had no choice & just found them under her on the 15th.)
6 were fertile & all 6 made it to lockdown.
All 6 hatched. (all one day late)

Can you find the 6 chicks?

On another thread I read that to get mostly hens you turn the temp down a few degrees for the first 3 days of incubation as it kills all the male eggs. Someone else on the thread said you turn the temp up a few degrees (same reason).
It would be interesting to find out from the ones whos temps got accidentally messed up if there is any truth in either of these claims. What percentage of male and females did you end up with?

This might not seem like a big thing to some people, but I'm pretty excited since I've never been on a forum for this long.

Today is the day I joined BYC 4 years ago!

I don't have my badge yet, but I know the mods are busy with other stuff. So it's ok.

On another thread I read that to get mostly hens you turn the temp down a few degrees for the first 3 days of incubation as it kills all the male eggs. Someone else on the thread said you turn the temp up a few degrees (same reason).
It would be interesting to find out from the ones whos temps got accidentally messed up if there is any truth in either of these claims. What percentage of male and females did you end up with?
This is not true. If it were true, hatcheries would do it.

This might not seem like a big thing to some people, but I'm pretty excited since I've never been on a forum for this long.

I don't have my badge yet, but I know the mods are busy with other stuff. So it's ok.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
woot.gif

[COLOR=0000FF]Today is the day I joined BYC 4 years ago![/COLOR]

Happy anniversary! You are a credit to the site and add some brilliant posts xx

clap.gif
Congratulations!

Update: I've got nothing new but I do have lots of chirping. Any thing I can do to speed this up??

It is great to have you here with us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom