The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong...lol! I have chicks! Holy camolly! Lol!

I finally put my eggs in lockdown, 17 made it. They are technically 21 days along but the temp was too low for some of the time so they developed slower. I pray they will all hatch okay! Getting nervous!!:fl

I finally put my eggs in lockdown, 17 made it. They are technically 21 days along but the temp was too low for some of the time so they developed slower. I pray they will all hatch okay! Getting nervous!!:fl

Yes. Sometimes they will hatch late if the temperature is low during the incubation period. Once I placed fertile eggs under a broody hen after Christmas (in the middle of winter) and it took three extra days for the eggs to hatch. But they did hatch.

Keep the faith.

Ok,

Day 20 started for half my eggs 7 hrs ago and others half an hr ago. 8 hatched so far and I can count at least 10 pips. So far I am very happy. Only issue is that at this moment its getting harder to keep track of who came from which egg because my Legbar x Barnevelder crosses are looking so similar to Legbar chicks and Barnevelder chicks at the same time. I am using colored bands but its only a matter of time when I run out of colors. Plus I have only slept 2.5 hrs in the last 48 hrs. Everytime I try to sleep a new one starts cheeping and playing hockey with the eggs. I am bout to crash involuntarily soon, hopefully not on my incubator(s)

Here is a funny pic I just took of a Legbar chick. She was sitting quietly after hatching. Still half inside the egg when I snapped my fingers and she jumped up out of the egg into the incubator wall. I am her mama now (should be dada) and she is following me everywhere from inside the incubator.

If humidity is 65% or more, you can quickly get in and take the chick(s) and egg shells out. If you have help that is better so that you can do it even faster. couple of minutes won't hurt. Also for situations like these, I keep humidity around the incubator high by keeping hot water pans or a humidifier so it does not matter much. Remember broody mama keeps herself lifted above the eggs when they start hatching (I really feel for her because she stays like that for 2-3 days). And air flow is going under her that doesn't hurt. So as long as its not dry and overall humidity in the incubator is well maintained you are ok.

Thanks! I'll have to see if anyone is awake to help me
1f60a.png

are there more to emerge? you may get another like it, i see that happen in other animal eggs, depends on if it is a recessive gene or an on the fly mutation. have you seen this? http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1516-635X2008000300003&script=sci_arttext completely blind chickens can find food and drink (but they do get assaulted by roosters a lot) as long as food and drink stations dont move and they have a limited area to live in. want to know the oddest albinos out there?? these!! think about it --HOW DO THEY EARN A LIVING????
There are some albino trees in the Redwood forests of California. They actually survive off of a type of parasitism by fusing their roots with the normal trees :)

Thanks! I'll have to see if anyone is awake to help me
1f60a.png

I got her out by my self she's really pretty. Right before I took her out a loud mouth RIR X Barred Rock popped so I took him out too. Does anyone know if Barred Rock Hen crossed with RIR roo would produce auto sex? This guy has a very clear bright spot on his head...

I have an egg that is on day 18 today-well, yesterday, since it's after midnight, that has the air cell at the small end of the egg.  No wonder I couldn't see it last time!  What should I do about that, anything?

I think I read someone else say they had this issue and someone told them to put the egg small end up so the chick will turn toward the air cell. I am not positive though! I'm hoping someone will see this and respond because everyone's posts are getting lost, mine did. Good luck though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom