The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some of my best lookin' chicks
smile.png
love.gif
Aw.

Last edited:
Time for me to call it quits - 0 of 4 hatched.
hmm.png
They were probably not fertile. Broody mama is still sitting tight. I haven't decided whether or not to give her more eggs. It would be an awfully long time to sit.

Last edited:
I did candle them and didn't see any movement, however I'm not confident in my assessment because I didn't notice movement in any when I candled them day 18 either...maybe I will try again?  Is this the only way to tell?  

Float test.

We had our best hatch ever... Started w 17 eggs 3 were infertile and removed at one week... Of the remaining 14 eggs we had 13 hatch!! Woohoo! We already have 8 hens so we sent all the chicks to my brother in Idaho and they all arrived safe and sound.

are easter eggers a real breed or does it mean fluffies born of questionable parentage? if it's the latter then I have 6 of those over the past couple of days. all I know about mine is they are yellow, facial markings make them look like really grumpy old men and one has fluffy legs all the way to it's feet (named seagull because it sounds like one) whilst the others are standard scaly legs. but being my first they are all beauties and I adore them. marans are beautiful too, I love the marbled look, quite a regal looking bird.

From what I understand an EE is a mixed breed chicken that lays Blueish or greenish tinted eggs.

I forgot that I had a splash laced red Wyandotte hatch as well. So 3 GCM, 3 EE and 1 Wyandotte.

ah right, that's why we breed chickens... more eggs = more chickens. I can be a right numpty at times, I thought it was about growing the pretty ones =8-D.
I like the idea of record keeping for each hen progeny. I feel an experiment on the way...

Me, too.

This was my biggest attempt and biggest hatch with 33 hatched and 32 in the brooder and I'm looking in there going, what am I going to do??? I am going to need a bigger brooder right away....lol Been trying to figure out what I am going to use because w/in a weeks time they are going to start getting crowded. If only the NY weather would cooperate with my plans!!!
X2

I had 44 in the brooder. So have Sold 13 and convinced 2 friends to brood 6 each for me. Will be 19 left in the brooder tomorrow. Sigh of relief!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom