The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I have 4 bantam chicks. Plus one baby dove.
Awesome! Is it a ringneck dove? They look kinda weird as babies, but in a cute way
tongue.png

HEY speaking of doves.... My kids found a newly hatched dove baby on the ground (with wreckage, a nest theu had previously observed from a respectful distance).

So I have this TINY creature inside - in a box in the brooder to keep her safe. But a tree bird is different than the chicks - needs mama to brings it worms, right?! Eeek!

Sidetracking from my HAL - I have 3 out now. Interestingly, 2 are bantams, so that early thing is working...
Are there any wildlife rescue or rehabillitation places near you? Any pics? What to feed it depends on age, pics are the best way to determine age. Doves don't eat worms, they feed their babies partially digested regurgitated seeds, similar to what parrots feed their babies so parrot hand feeding formulas work well for them. Also unmedicated chick starter soaked in water works, or plain applesauce is ok for a temporary feeding. Baby doves stick their beak inside their parents to feed (which is the opposite of how birds like robins feed their babies) so the easiest way to feed it would probably be to heat up formula to about 100 degrees (Fahrenheit) NOT TOO HOT cause it could burn them, put it in a small mug or cup thingy and gently place one fingers on either side if the doves beak to stimulate swallowing and then lower the tip of the beak into the formula. The baby should start swallowing and will not lift its head out of the formula probably so maybe after 10 seconds if it is still swallowing and hasn't taken a break to breath then lift its head out of the formula so it can catch its breath. Feed it til the crop feels large but still soft. If it has feathers it will probably start flapping its wings and squeeking while turning in circles looking for more food lol. Oh, and ALWAYS make sure the dove is warm before feeding it.

Ask if you need more info, I wrote that kinda fast.

@tiffanyblitz

Last edited:
A horrible LG incubator that doesn't have a constant temp or humidity.

I get constant temp after I added a 12 volt fan to mine and a hydrometer for a reptile tank. I just leave at least one spot on my turner open to put a chunk of wet sponge in to do the humidity. Unless the temp in my house drops to 11 (like it did this winter when I had duck eggs set) the temp stays exact

Last edited:
I got a white Legbar! Pulled 11 more out of the good dry hatcher this morning, & 1 out of the bad bator. Still a few pipping. Only have 3 chicks from my flock this hatch so far, but lots of cuties!

what kind of incubator do you have?
me, too.my eggs were due yesterday and I still have a bunch not hatched.

Have 1 I had to help still in the incubator. Not sure if it'll make it. I did see a pip on one of my other Dominique eggs! I'm going to have to go out somewhere today just so I am not checking the incubator every 30 seconds.

New fluffers!!!!!! Black Ameraucana chick

It might have something to do with the actual hens maybe they control the time of hatch while the egg is being made

Awesome! Is it a ringneck dove? They look kinda weird as babies, but in a cute way :p

Are there any wildlife rescue or rehabillitation places near you? Any pics? What to feed it depends on age, pics are the best way to determine age. Doves don't eat worms, they feed their babies partially digested regurgitated seeds, similar to what parrots feed their babies so parrot hand feeding formulas work well for them. Also unmedicated chick starter soaked in water works, or plain applesauce is ok for a temporary feeding. Baby doves stick their beak inside their parents to feed (which is the opposite of how birds like robins feed their babies) so the easiest way to feed it would probably be to heat up formula to about 100 degrees (Fahrenheit) NOT TOO HOT cause it could burn them, put it in a small mug or cup thingy and gently place one fingers on either side if the doves beak to stimulate swallowing and then lower the tip of the beak into the formula. The baby should start swallowing and will not lift its head out of the formula probably so maybe after 10 seconds if it is still swallowing and hasn't taken a break to breath then lift its head out of the formula so it can catch its breath. Feed it til the crop feels large but still soft. If it has feathers it will probably start flapping its wings and squeeking while turning in circles looking for more food lol. Oh, and ALWAYS make sure the dove is warm before feeding it.

Ask if you need more info, I wrote that kinda fast.

@tiffanyblitz

I believe the baby just hatched yesterday. All down (no feathers), eyes closed.

I have been reading about it, and we managed to get some "chick starter gruel" in with a syringe - but your method sounds easier!

Back
Top Bottom