The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. chattery41

chattery41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    @Sally Sunshine i ordered the stock tank de-icers thru Amazon.$31.09 each w/free shipping. The are 250 watt float/submersible and work in metal or plastic tanks. Or 5 gallon buckets like i use lol

2. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Welcome to the Easter Hatch A Long! [​IMG]

Welcome to the Easter Hatch A Long! [​IMG]

3. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

Is it wrong for me to say I have an Octo 40 EX Advanced w/Humidity Pump for sale in the trading section?

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Well I got the chores done except for egg gathering.

Unloaded the 6 bags of feed I got today and poured them up into the barrels ( trash cans, that serve as barrels), Fed the chickens and cleaned out water era and out in fresh water. That is a chore within itself, I think my chicks are Pentecostals, they like foot washings, they get their water so dirty.

Took done pictures of some of them.

These are two from my last hatch on 1/15/2916.
    [​IMG]

These two got me to thinking "New Project". Blue Barred Naked Necks! But not sure I'd be able to do that, I think both of these are cockerels. But I guess I could use just the barred one, 'cause I have three barred hens already.

1 person likes this.
  5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    We are not supposed to advertise in these threads but it should be ok to add a link to the ad here.

You can put a link in your signature line too.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

I am sure I am not the first one to say this, but I haven't seen it posted before...

When I ordered my brooding plates from Premier 1, I also ordered 10 ceramic fake eggs. I have pullets who are laying on the ground instead of in nesting boxes and they rarely use more than the lower 5, so I thought these might help. They are cheap enough for me to say; "What the heck". They arrived yesterday and I put them in each nesting box.

So this morning I go out to collect eggs, and my first thought is; "Wow, they laid a lot of eggs"...then I remember the fake eggs. So I start collecting...and wow, you cannot tell these fake eggs from real ones other than by weight. I don't know about you, but my hand is not sensitive enough to know the difference between 35g and 60g eggs. Egg size, sure, but weight, nah. So I collected every egg from any nest that had more than one.

Turns out the ceramics are all light for their size, easy to distinguish when put on a scale. So I marked the fake eggs with an "F" (doh, shoulda done that before I put them in the nesting boxes, but then lolz, why don't they come marked??) So, if you buy them, mark them before you deploy them, lolz...

1 person likes this.
  7. nate1the1great1

nate1the1great1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Colorado
    No my parents don't mess with chickens..

8. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    That's why I have all white ceramic eggs and no white egg layers lol

ETA: paint them some off the wall color like people or florescent orange :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  9. nate1the1great1

nate1the1great1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Colorado
    Oh I do for sure...

10. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    I use golf balls

1 person likes this.